Hops Grown In Australia / New Zealand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
Taking this away from the pommie pint thread, I know Pride of Ringwood is Australian and I've bought some NZ grown Tettnanger, but what other hops are grown commercially in Australia / New Zealand. Fearing a European price increase, are their many commercial hop growers in Australia and NZ. Google wasn't helpful.

With the drought to affect Australian barley prices, what's the growing seasons been like in North America ?

For nz varieties look at the nz hops site but they grow the following "special nz only" varieties

http://www.nzhops.co.nz/
Riwaka (D Saaz) - Citrusy saaz type hop
Motueka (B Saaz) - Another citrusy/flowery type saaz hop
NZ Hallertau - Not much like real hallertau
Nelson Sauvin - Citrus/Pine flavour hop
Green Bullet - Bittering hop with some aroma
NZ Pacific Gem - Bittering hop with some aroma
Pacific Jade - Bittering hop with some aroma
Southern Cross - Bittering hop with some aroma
Super Alpha - Bittering hop with some aroma

Then they grow from the top of my head:
Cascade
Styrian Goldings
Willamette
Hallertau
Organic Hallertau
Organic Cascade
Fuggles
Goldings

They're all OK, not really a sub for the real things though, but faily similar (the NZ cascade was pretty good, but then again, cascade is a very distinctive flavour)

In Aus i know we grow Cascade, Saaz (sometimes called Wenceslas), PoR, Super PoR, a couple of other high-alpha varieties only really destined for CO2 extraction for the big brewers, some Tettnanger, Hallertau and Fuggles is grown as well, i got some in the '06 aus bulk buy.

Just as a casual uniformed observation, :ph34r:
It would appear that that hop development is going ahead in leaps and bounds in the US, NZ and Europe, but Australia seems almost asleep at the wheel!

I mean POR has been around for some 30 years and that appears to be it!
Could someone please correct me if Iam wrong?

I hope so,

Cheers,
BB

It's a shame none of the rarer Aus hop breeds are sold to homebrewers. Stuff like Agate, Opal, Van Diemen etc.

It's a shame none of the rarer Aus hop breeds are sold to homebrewers. Stuff like Agate, Opal, Van Diemen etc.

Interesting, I know nothing about these hops can you elaborate any further?

BB

Interesting, I know nothing about these hops can you elaborate any further?

BB

Not really, as there is not a lot of info out there about them that I am aware of. I've tried a one-hop beer with Agate, produced by Grand Union. I found the flavour to be quite citric, though harsh/metallic in the finish.

Van Diemen hops were used in Boags Honey Porter, though that may have just been marketing rather than a different variety. Opal I know nothing about.

I have recently been talking to a hop grower from around scottsdale in tassie and he has 3 main breeds and has agreed to send me some agate rhizomes. he also has some super pride and pride of ringwood. when i speak next to him I will ask if he is willing for me to put his contact details on here so that others can contact him. In the meantime has anyone had much to do with the agate and if so could you furnish a description of what it is like. Thanks

Latest posts

Back