Hop trellis design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear the worm juice is working for ya as I grow chillies also and am about to setup a small worm farm. Have you used it on hops as well?

What would be the minimum height for a potted hops plant trellis?

Beertard said:
What would be the minimum height for a potted hops plant trellis?
I've only grown them for a few years, but 3 metres I'd guess.

Once they get to the top they form a ball/clump that tries to go off in all directions.

Of course you may not get that sort of vigorous growth in the first year.

fattox said:
For those interested, slightly off topic but I've been using worm farm runoff for my chillies to... painfully good results. Chocolate brain strains coming in well over the 1.5m mark (est)

Maybe an idea for amping up the fertilising? Some places will sell it by the litre
Is that better than the (dead)carp-based fertilisers ?

My son had a worm farm, but I think the worms are all gone.

cheers,
-kt

I've got 7 rhizomes planted in a row 1m apart (2m between different species) and am planning on running a line between 2 flag poles with string lines above each plant.

Does this sound ridiculous? What diameter string lines should I use? I was thinking of using sisal but not sure if it would last the season.

Anyway, I welcome feedback on my plan.

Thanks,

Trev

Sounds like a good setup. How tall are your flag poles and how many string lines per plant? I imagine the line between the poles would have to be something that doesn't slacken with time like a clothes line or something.

I've just purchased some 3mm jute rope in bulk at what I thought to be a reasonable price. Hoping to have some leftover for next year so I can simply bring the lot down and throw it on the compost no hassles. If it turns out to be super hardy though I might consider re-using it the following year. The sisal I used last year still feels pretty strong but since I'm doing a completely new and different setup I wanted to start fresh.

I haven't got the poles yet but they will be 5.4m above ground which may be a bit on the short side.

I was planning to run plastic coated galv clothes line between poles with final tension taken by the flag pole ropes.

Also I assumed that I'd only need 1 string per plant. How many would you recommend? And how far apart?

Trevandjo said:
I haven't got the poles yet but they will be 5.4m above ground which may be a bit on the short side.

I was planning to run plastic coated galv clothes line between poles with final tension taken by the flag pole ropes.

Also I assumed that I'd only need 1 string per plant. How many would you recommend? And how far apart?
When it's 5 metres up in the air, it will look to be on the long side ;)

Obviously it depends on the plant, but I reckon at least 3 per plant would be a start.
You can train more than one vine up a string.

I think I got about 5 vines out of a Perle hop once. Grew like buggery on the first year, then never again.

Thanks for the advice.

Now to get some flag poles made and work out how to mount them.

Made up a wee pot for some hops, 300litre tank cut down to 200litres, solid brace bolted to the steel frame to support the upright but i used what I had @180cm, unsure how to get a 3meter length of timber for the upright home from bloodyswearhouse in the hyundai?
Will have 80cms, if thats enough? between two plants or one that goes up then down the other side?

IMG_20140627_164122.jpg

Latest posts

Back