Hop Tablets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65bellett

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Today I went on a mission to buy a new thermometre and in my travels I came across these little Hop tablets made by Brigalow. I had a quick look on the packet and it gave no indication of alph acid or type of hop it was made from. On the packet it said you just drop the tablet in and will disolve over 5 days letting out hop oil.

I don't think I would use them as I am a big fan of the hop tea bag for a simple and quick brew, but since leaving the store I really want to know what they are like. I think I might have to try one.

Cheers

Hi Guys, Today I went on a mission to buy a new thermometre and in my travels I came across these little Hop tablets made by Brigalow. I had a quick look on the packet and it gave no indication of alph acid or type of hop it was made from. On the packet it said you just drop the tablet in and will disolve over 5 days letting out hop oil.

I don't think I would use them as I am a big fan of the hop tea bag for a simple and quick brew, but since leaving the store I really want to know what they are like. I think I might have to try one.

Cheers

Seems to me like an even more basic version of the teabag. At least with the Morgans product you get the variety of hops - even if they are old and/or poorly stored/transported.

Where was it that you saw this item?

I'm with you - might be worth a go, but might not either.

Cheers,

microbe

hmmmmm sounds real dodge. im not even a fan of teabags let alone a non-descript package of hops tablets. ultra processes leftover hop crap is what is sounds like.

that being said, if you were chucking a homebrand kit or toucan together (est total price of $8-14) then adding $3 worth of 'hop tablet' probably couldnt do it anyharm. would i use it in my brews that cost me $30? no f'n way! once again. fresh is best.

I would have to agree with citymorgue2, these hop tablets sound like they are the leftovers of several production runs. It sounds like the dregs have been packaged in order to get some cash for the production waste.

Isn't the whole point of using hops to get a particular strain (Hallertau, Goldings, Ringwood, etc.) for it's AA% and the particular flavour and aroma of that strain? It would seem a little pointless to get some generic 'hop tablets' in order to make a specific style of beer. It would be like buying a pack of 'beer concentrate' and using 'brewers yeast' in order to make an IPA. Though if it were a 'what's on special at the supermarket' type of brew, then I would be interested to find out what the results are, given the reputation that is associated with Brigalow.

Sounds like a $2.95 waste...an if it is over-processed could it be detrimental to the beer?

adding $3 worth of 'hop tablet' probably couldnt do it anyharm.

Well, I'd say the complete opposite. Nothing worse than rank stale hops to turn a nice brew into cheese, mouldy tasting undrinkable crap. If your beer was not your best for starters, even worse. You can't turn a bad beer into a good one by adding stale hops.

MFS/

I agree that there is no substitute for fresh hops and a good boil. I thought these tablets might be modelled on a comercial style tastig beer and would be good for brewers starting out. Many people start out brewing expecting their can of Coopers draught and kilo of brewing sugar to taste just like what they drink at the pub. May be that little tablet might help mask some of the off flavours that a lack of temp control and other factors may cause. I know when I discovered hop tea bags my brew was improved out of sight.

Back