Hop Pruning?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

My third-season Goldings hop has recently poked its head out of the ground. In its first year it produced about five shoots and in its second year about thirty. Each year I've let it grow and haven't pruned it or tried to control it in any way. This year it looks like it's going to produce a huge number of shoots.

Each year I've grown it up fairly closely spaced strings (about 10 cm apart). I have room for about twenty strings. Last year, some strings carried multiple shoots which wasn't really a problem although the trellis was probably at its capacity.

Should I let all the shoots grow or would it be better to prune some of them? Will this affect my harvest?

I'm also thinking of ditching the strings and replacing them with a fairly open wooden trellis.

Cheers,

Chris

G'day Chris,

What has your yield been like? I found that my first year yield from Golding was pretty good and thereafter had trouble. I put it down to too much leaf needing too much water.

Like you I used to train as many strings as I could but now think its better to use fewer strings with some space between to allow entry of light. I also have developed the view that its best to prune excess shoots rather than let them grow as a mass all over the ground. More leaf area simply needs more water to sustain it, which is to say that its less stressful on the plant if you prune the large leaf mass off.

I never actually got around to weighing the harvest but the first year it filled a large mixing bowl ( I have a photo somewhere). I actually got more flowers in the first year. The second year was probably 10% down on the first.

When you say "excess" what do you mean exactly?

cpsmusic said:
When you say "excess" what do you mean exactly?
By excess I mean any shoots that arise which are not needed or which you are not intending to train up string or some other trellis.

Back