Hop Growing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maple

Talkin' bout a Rye-volution
Reaction score
With all the talk of growing hops, and "wet-hop additions", adn harvest brews, I thought about starting a few vines, but in reading about it, I came across several mentions that the plants are poisonous to dogs. I have 2 big Golden Retriever brewing assistants, who seem to get into all sorts of trouble on their own in the garden, and I'm thinking that if this is the case, and they are deadly to dogs, then I best not plant any. Just curious if any hop growers out there can confirm that they are infact poisonous(deadly), and how one might keep the seperation between dog and Hop. I certainly don't want to risk my best friends lives for the sake of super-fresh hops...(I'll just keep getting them from Ross :D )

Any thoughts from other fur-assisted brewers who grow hops?

Maple

I think they are referring to the actual hop flower....not the plant itself. If so im going to tie my wifes cat to mine :lol:

READER QUESTION RE HOPS:
7/31/2006: B from Ojai asks, "I was just reading your list of poisonous foods & must inquire about your sources. As an animal herbalist in practice since 1992, I have used hops frequently as a medicinal herb in both dogs and cats. Is your inclusion here because of beer, or do you have some research to indicate its ill effects. If so, what side effects are you seeing? Thank you!"

8/2/2006: Dawn from Canada replies, "Here's some info in response to your reader's question... The poisonous agents within the Hops plant have yet to be identified. However, it is known that they can cause serious problems such as panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures and sometimes even death. It seems that certain breeds are especially sensitive to Hops toxicity (such as greyhounds), but they can be dangerous for any dog. My sources for this particular piece of information include first aid for pets books as well as websites such as, Washington Poison Center, Pet Education.com, many breed specific rescue club sites, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, they can be reached at 1-888-426-4435 for more information. Hope that helps!" Quote

In my garden and a mate's it's definitely the other way around - the dogs are a massive disturbance to the hops. Which reminds me. I must remember to fill in the large hole around my poor Columbus and build a fence.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are concerned, build a fence of some sort.

The other thing is which part of the plant is supposedly poisonous? If it's the flowers then you only have part of the year to worry about.

Andrew

i built a fence around the hops garden and it seemed to work so far but i only have a little hyperactive dog not a big one

so does mean I shouldn't fill the dogs water dish with an IPA? :blink:

I've long heard this about hops being toxic to dogs.

I have grown hops and my dogs show no interest in the plants. Spent hops covered in sweet aromatic wort are another matter entirely. You might want to dispose of them more carefully, and I think they would be the main problem. In any case I don't know that this relates to growing your own hops or brewing in general.
In any case, hops grow so high on the bine (hops have bines not vines) that I can't think of how a dog could reach them unless it sprouted wings.

Once you harvest them and dry them you'll want to keep them in the freezer (out of the reach of dogs). I find using green hops is just a bit of a commercial fad, and contributes a bit too much DMS (cooked corn flavour) to be useful (Cascade First Harvest good example). I always dry mine.

To be serious, I've always thought this hops and dogs thread may be a bit of a recurring urban myth. I've yet to see a good scientific paper about it. I can't imagine a dog eating hops in the first place. Mine certainly show no interest. A bit like the mobile-phone-in-the-petrol-station myth. Everyone's heard it, nobody's shown proof of it having happened in the first place, and even the servos put up signs to turn off your mobile while refilling (BTW does anyone actually do THAT?)

MFS

Thanks for the insight guys. I think i will go ahead next season, as I think I'll have missed the boat for this year by the time I get myself organised. Very helpful input guys. Cheers,.

Maple

actually the mobile phone in the servo isnt what everyone thinks ie the radiation from the unit its actually the chance of being dropped and creating a spark, yes this can happen hence why every thing that gets taken in to the mines and confined spaces is certified to be non sparking

Latest posts

Back