Hooking up a Soda Stream machine to a 6kg C02 bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pumps (rotary vane) are the same as those used in commercial coffee machines. Some can do both 50/60Hz, ones that are not won't be impacted too much in a domestic situation as they would barely run much more than once a day for a few seconds a time.
Thanks for explaining that. I still have some possible concerns that the pump would need to be active a lot more than that for us - we'd easily go through a few litres of soda water a day and with people visiting I wouldn't be surprised if we went through 10L at the height of summer.

I'm guessing this adapter works with the Type 30 gas bottles that you sell. Do you have one that will work with a CGA320 gas bottle?
I have this, 100% recommend it. I filled 3 I has as soon as I had it. You should throw it in the freezer (the sodastream bottle) for a few hours before as you can fill up more of the bottle, you just follow the video and it works perfectly

I have this, 100% recommend it. I filled 3 I has as soon as I had it. You should throw it in the freezer (the sodastream bottle) for a few hours before as you can fill up more of the bottle, you just follow the video and it works perfectly

Good to hear. The only issue we get is people accidentally put the Sodastream cylinder on the wrong side. So please follow the video we have on the page here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/sodastream-cylinder-filling-adapter-filling-station-with-bleed-valve.html

We have also shown an image here on how it goes together:
https://www.kegland.com.au/media/ca...ptor_with_bleed_valve_-_how_to_connect-01.jpg

These are really easy to use but you need to:
1. Make sure you put the seals in the right spot and couple the Sodastream cylinder to the correct side.
2. Make sure you fill slowly.

Do these two things and you will fill really easily.

I'm guessing this adapter works with the Type 30 gas bottles that you sell. Do you have one that will work with a CGA320 gas bottle?

I am sorry but we do not make one to work with a CGA320. We dont use the CGA320 in Australia so why would you want that? Are you in America. If you are in America you can order the CGA320 one from one of our American distributors but we would not normally carry that in Australia.

Thanks for the answer. I'm in Perth. My gas bottle is an older one which used to be part of a swap and go bottle exchange program. I don't think the company that does the exchanges is around any more, so I just get it refilled at the local brew shop instead. Not sure why they used CGA320 bottles instead of the AS Type 30 ones.

Thanks for the answer. I'm in Perth. My gas bottle is an older one which used to be part of a swap and go bottle exchange program. I don't think the company that does the exchanges is around any more, so I just get it refilled at the local brew shop instead. Not sure why they used CGA320 bottles instead of the AS Type 30 ones.
Cant you just change the valve?

Cant you just change the valve?

I could do that, but I would also need to change the regulator to match the valve. It's an old bottle, I haven't checked the date stamp on it but it might not be in test any more. I'm starting to think I would be better off saving my money for a brand new bottle. The price of bottles has come down heaps recently and it's probably cheaper to buy a new bottle than it is to get an old one pressure tested.

I could do that, but I would also need to change the regulator to match the valve. It's an old bottle, I haven't checked the date stamp on it but it might not be in test any more. I'm starting to think I would be better off saving my money for a brand new bottle. The price of bottles has come down heaps recently and it's probably cheaper to buy a new bottle than it is to get an old one pressure tested.

Please make sure you have a CGA320 regualtor.

Some customers put Type 30 regulators onto CGA320 valves. The issue with this is the nut on the regulator only loosely goes on when the threads engage. As a result the threads are only grabbing on a small part of the peak of the thread. So they do couple but it's not safe if this is the case. It's also really easy to shear off the peaks of the threads if this is the case. We do see this from time to time. So if you get your regulator and try to put it onto maybe a friends type 30 cylinder then you actually have a type 30 regulator so it might be worth checking this.

If that is the case then i would change the valve over to the Type 30 which you can see here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/co2-cylinder-valve-with-rpv-877.html

If you have an aluminium cylinder this type 30 valve might not fit as many of the aluminium cylinders us a parallel thread. For these valves you might have to go to Gascon but they are expensive. (expect to pay $50 or more)

So a Type 30 regulator will screw loosely onto a CGA320 bottle, but not the other way around? If it is a CGA320 regulator, I won't be able to screw it onto Type 30 bottle?

The regulator I have seems to fit the bottle and makes a good seal, but I never really paid close attention to it. I'll have to look into that. The valve on the bottle has CGA320 cast into the bronze part so I'm certain that the bottle is CGA320. I'm not sure if the regulator has any markings to say what it is.

Yes that is absolutley correct.

If you have a type 30 nut and stem (this part https://www.kegland.com.au/type-30-nut-and-stem.html). It will connect to both the CGA320 (loosly) and also the Type 30 thread.

But a CGA320 will only go onto a CGA320 valve and it will not fit onto the Type 30. The type 30 is slightly larger. So the larger female nut will go onto the smaller one but not the other way around.

Back