Honey Instead Of Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's about right. The other part is water with a tiny amount of flavour compounds that are specific to the flowers it came from.

Almost all of that 82% will be made into alcohol by the yeast. Best to treat it as though you added 15% water to some dextrose in your recipe development regarding your final gravity. Have a look at the table Mark posted showing how much of honey is easily metabolisable sugarz.

Using it as a primer is a great way to retain the more volatile flavours that are lost in fermentation.

I have not tried bulk priming yet so its a little bit daunting to try with honey for first attempt but I have a 20 Litres batch of the nut brown ale, so going by the Herveybay PDF document, I calculated for 19 litre batch 172 GM honey to achieve the high end of medium carbonation, so might drop that to 150gm for the full batch. Or might bottle half the batch as is using brown sugar and my priming scoop, then try the honey priming for the last 10 Litres, in which case I will use 75-80gm honey. The sample tastes like it will go nicely with a bit of honey flavor. Good to try both to compare the two, and if I bugger up the honey priming part at least I will have only lost half a batch :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

well thanks again every body..its some good reading,i used some coopers larger, cluster hops bag, 1kg of honey and 250grams of sugar with some marble hill spring water,,smells great..after reading all the posts i now have heaps of shit to try which should keep me busy for months..( im gona try it all!) cheers..p.s i herd about the white house honey porter too...sounds good.. who knows....maybe those yankees arnt a bad mob after all????

well thanks again every body..its some good reading,i used some coopers larger, cluster hops bag, 1kg of honey and 250grams of sugar with some marble hill spring water,,smells great..after reading all the posts i now have heaps of shit to try which should keep me busy for months..( im gona try it all!) cheers..p.s i herd about the white house honey porter too...sounds good.. who knows....maybe those yankees arnt a bad mob after all????

Please come back and update this thread from time to time as you learn more from your brewing. Hopefully it will other brewers.

Back