Home Brewing Longevity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been throughout my life someone who starts something and never finishes it. I have finally found a hobby that I will NEVER give up, even if for health reasons I couldn't drink anymore, I would still brew for mates and family.

If it wasn't for homebrewing I wouldn't have the most fantastic job in the world, so I owe it a lot....

AND I get to make beer better than most beers in the marketplace.

It is my weekly stress relief.

I will find it pretty hard to give up brewing because I just can't bring myself to pay the money for beer at a bar these days, not because I can't afford it or I'm a tight arse, just because I no longer see the value for money and I hate the feeling of being ripped off which is exactly how I feel when I have to buy a beer these days.

So I guess when I give up drinking beer.

I brewed K & K for about 3 years back in the early 2000's. I stopped mainly because for a while I was working away and when I'd come home I would drink my stock without replacing it, also I was bottling at the time and once I ran out of beer, I had all these empty bottles and just couldn't be bothered starting again.

Now I've got a keg setup, I BIAB and my level of interest is so much greater than it was before. I wan't to make as good a quality beer as I possibly can and I know that there is plenty that I've still got to learn.

I've been back at it for about 18 months and I can't see myself stopping for a long time.

Red Baron said:
I've been going mostly strong for the last 17 years, and will most likely continue for the next 40ish. I really like beer, making stuff myself and dislike the taxman.

Cheers,
RB.
That pretty much sums it up for me. Why pay someone else to make it if you can make it yourself?

Black Devil Dog said:
Now I've got a keg setup, I BIAB and my level of interest is so much greater than it was before. I wan't to make as good a quality beer as I possibly can and I know that there is plenty that I've still got to learn.
I agree that kegging for me kept my interest going as bottling was a royal pain...I find now that i'm having no bottled beer left and i'm needing to get bottling again so i can keep some stocks.

Home brewing for me is like therapy. As i said earlier, I've stopped playing footy,i'm close to ending my cricket, i don't go out drinking with my mates at all hours of the morning so brewing is my little oasis. Has been a little hard lately as i've been working hard on our landscaping for SWMBO's day care career and also planning a few projects of my own.

The only brewing i've been doing is for my sister in laws wedding so i'll be happy when that's all over and i can brew what i want again.

When I stop drinking beer.

My 6 month hiatus between moving meant I was drinking commercial beer.

It's not just the expense (actually, it's hardly that at all). It's the beer. I can't get commercial beer that tastes like it really should - I mean from standard bottle-os. Sure, I could go up to crown cellars at Launnie and shell out $8-$15 per beer (then it does become the cost), for something that's close to what I want to drink.

I can make beer. I think I'm past that 'wow' that I can make beer that would be fine in a bottle shop or brewpub. But I'm never past the fact that I can make something that I actually like, rather than drink because it's beer-like. Most of the Tassie "Pale Ales" are a point in question. They're insipid. And I'm expected to pay $22 per 6er of something (when transport shouldn't be that big of a factor) to buy local. And everytime I do, I feel really disappointed. And my missus has one sip and says "why did you buy this crap? Stick with Vale IPA or make it better yourself"

On buying a place recently, it affords me the luxury of modifying my surrounds to suit my needs. I plan to make brewing as easy as possible, so that I can still brew as part of my routine and still pursue the other things which come into my fancy, I only have time and energy for one hobby, yet I am continually wooed by three or four which could all absorb me on their own. Home brewing is seriously rewarding in the way of nearly limitless scope as mentioned earlier, which is my primary attraction. It is like you go to school and it is chemistry, microbiology, maths, cookery, engineering, fabrication and then at the end you are rewarded with a delicious beer. I used to skip class to drink beer. Plus it is an iso-certified fact that brewers are generally top people. I think there is something to be said for the fact that because it is multidisciplinary, relatively bright people are drawn from multiple backgrounds but have mutual interests above and beyond sinking piss.

I also have two recurring styles I like to brew and drink: imperial IPA and English dark mild, the former is wonderful from the shops and I am well informed as to when to get what product based on freshness and is fingeringly expensive, the latter is basically just impossible to get. Homebrew to the rescue. I am drinking the first beer I have brewed in months and months now, I am not amazed at the results, but I would have been satisfied with a bottle of it for $8-15, but the difference is I have 60L or so for nix. Based on how I miss it when it is gone, I will do it for some time yet.

I genuinely love both the process and results. So for me it's long haul.

I know I'll get into kegging sooner or later - bottling is the piece I may grow tired of.

bcp said:
I genuinely love both the process and results. So for me it's long haul.

I know I'll get into kegging sooner or later - bottling is the piece I may grow tired of.
Same here. Just need to scrap together some money for kegs and tell wifey that our kitchen fridge is almost stuffed, time to get a new one and put that out into the garage. ;)

wbosher said:
Same here. Just need to scrap together some money for kegs and tell wifey that our kitchen fridge is almost stuffed, time to get a new one and put that out into the garage. ;)
Ah, yeah, here's how I accomplished it.

I volunteered to defrost the fridge. Just make sure you leave the deposit of sheet ice on the bottom of the freezer. Before long, the fridge and freezer will perform as if it's on it's last legs. Then you have a reason to buy a new fridge. The old one gets moved to the brewery, and left to defrost for a week or two so that all the frozen ice melts and it fully drains. Then, when you plug it back in, it miraculously works as good as new. Mission accomplished.

I started homebrewing to find out more about beer, to understand it better and actually to help me with my other hobby, which is single malt whisky. The more different tastes I can discover and recognise, the more I'm going to appreciate the whisky (and beer) I drink. It's also just bloody good fun. My first BIAB the other week was a brilliant day! My apartment was turned into a tip but a beautiful smelling, warm and homely tip. I'm waiting on bottling this first BIAB batch before I start on my next - I'm keen to do a good stout. And hoping to start my next BIAB weekend after this with a bit of luck. So I'll be tapping you up for a good stout recipe!

wbosher said:
I was lucky, my wife said to me, several years ago, "if we get a new fridge then you can use this one for your (K&K) brewing". That was the start of the slippery slope.

Back