Hoepfner Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayo

Reaction score
Hi

Im looking at getting Hoepfner malts in or near melbourne. Iv had no luck witha google search or forum search, any suggestions?

Don't think anyone brings them into Australia anymore. Been missing for quite a while, much to everyone's dissappointment.

Hoepfner Malz has been trading as Bestmalz since 2001. You can find out more at www.bestmalz.de

Unfortunately there are currently no imports into Australia.

Wes

The only Hoepfner malt I tried before they seemed to disappear was the Rauchmalz and it was just awesome! :icon_drool2:

After too many disapointments trying to repeat that flavour with Weyermen I have now shelved the idea, believing the only option left was to smoke my own.

I never got to try their other malts by the time I started brewing, but I have only read and heard good reports from other brewers who remember them.

BB

I've still got half a bag of Hoepfner Winter wheat malt (personnally had it for over a year don't know how long it was in the lhbs). My current Dunkel wiezen on tap uses this malt. Is it any better than auzzie malts ?? probably not but the flavour is certainly different.

Mmmmm Hoepfner malts. I tried the Pilsner malt and wheat malt. They were great. I was just starting out but they made a far better beer than the JW stuff. Especially the wheat malt. It was almost nutty.

I made a couple Rauchbiers with the Hoephner Rauchmalz and thats wehre i fell in love with smoked beers. I too have met nothing but disapointment with the Weyermann Rauchmalz and dont bother any more. I remember 10 to 15% Hoephner Rauch and you had smoke in a glass. You need to use the Weyermann Rauch as a base malt and all you get is bacon. I dont like it much at all.

Im going to smoke up a KG of pils malt like i did years ago. That was smokey :)

Is there anyone in australia keen enough to import the Rauchmalz........ It would sell! I would buy it for sure!

cheers

The only Hoepfner malt I tried before they seemed to disappear was the Rauchmalz and it was just awesome! :icon_drool2:

After too many disapointments trying to repeat that flavour with Weyermen I have now shelved the idea, believing the only option left was to smoke my own.

I never got to try their other malts by the time I started brewing, but I have only read and heard good reports from other brewers who remember them.

BB
Hoepfner rauchmalz is powerful stuff.
A few years back a generous brewer at a local micro gave our brewclub a sack of it that had been in his grain store since he took over from another brewer. We decided to hold an "Ironbrewer" comp and this became one of the specified ingredients that had to be used. Everyone was given a kilogram of the Hoepfner rauchmalz along with 5 kilograms of base malt and I don't think anyone used more than 10% in their total batch and I am sure everyone still has some laying round in their grain stores and hasn't made a smoked beer since! :eek:

I haven't used the Weyermann rauchmalz myself but I quite enjoy the rauchbier made down at the mad monk. I was amazed when the brewer said he used 40% Weyermann rauchmalz in it, it is much milder in comparison with the Hoepfner stuff.

I remember the Hoepfner melanoidin tasting quite a bit different to the Weyermann melanoidin, not better or worse just different.

Slightly off topic, but I used ~75% weyerman rauchmalz in a rauchbier and i was really dissapointed with the amount of smoke flavour imparted. I have been thinking of a way to effectively try and smoke my own malt but i don't think smoked beer is good enough to go to that kind of trouble...

I think you will find that both Hoepner/ Bestmalz and Weyermann produce similar malts, the possible two exceptions being rauchmalz and what Hoepner called Farbmalz. Remember Bamberg, where Weyermann is, is the home of Rauchbier,I remember my first one in 1988 at a non beer related trade show in Stuttgart where a Bamberg company was serving Rauchbier off the wood...fantastic! Now you can if you believe Weyermann and I suspect that that is a good idea, use weyermann Rauchmalt to 100%, of course you can get other smoked malts, Bairds peat smoked springs to mind, but you use it 100% ?
I am not aware of any Hoepner being imported since about 2004 , so if there is some its very old and not a good indicator of its quality.

K

Latest posts

Back