Hills Brewers At The Malt Shovel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tseay

Reaction score
The Hills Brewers turned out in force last night for a tour of the Malt Shovel Brewery.

First, many thanks and BIG RESPECT to Chuck, Rob and the team at Malt Shovel!

As we got talking to the Malt Shovel team, their creativity became obvious and sure all of us came with a new enthusiasm for what they are doing there. It certainly got me thinking about significantly increasing the level of flavour and aroma hops in my next pilsner and reducing the lagering period. Rob took us around and openly shared info regarding technique and approach.

A great night !

T

Firstly I'd like to thank Tseay for bringing the night together!

It was a very informative and tasty experience! :D

It was great to be able to see how it's all done on a larger scale and the opportunity to taste the Golden Ale out of the bright beer tank was awesome!

Sounds like a great adventure,
(by the way is Samwise the am of old..?)

Sounds like a great adventure,
(by the way is Samwise the am of old..?)

Yes it's me. The new version of AHB didn't like the "" and replaced it with a "?" so had to change user name and there is another user "sam" so I had to find another option.

It was a great night.
Thanks again for organising Tseay.
Nothing like drinking beer direct from the bright tank :p

Doc

Wish I had been in Oz for this one guys. Sounds like you had a blast. I must say I am jealous.

Cheers

HK

Was a great night for the Hills Brewers!

I was really supprised at how informative they were about recipes and what not. Really wasn't expecting some of the answers to my probing questions!

Being able to taste the golden ale from the bright beer tank was amazing! Can't get any fresher than that! No doubt there was a bench capper near by, I'm sure the MS brewers take the odd bottle home from there! However, I'd try to hook up a corny keg!!!!

Thanks to Rob and Chuck at the Malt Shovel Brewery, Chris for putting it all together, and thanks to the HBG guys for the good time!

Cheers,
Jarrad

It was a great night.
Thanks again for organising Tseay.
Nothing like drinking beer direct from the bright tank :p

Doc

Yet again!!!!. I feel that you've done that before...Pilsener last time IIRC

did anyone ask the "Pasturising' question???

if so, what was the response????

It certainly got me thinking about significantly increasing the level of flavour and aroma hops in my next pilsner and reducing the lagering period. Rob took us around and openly shared info regarding technique and approach.

please enlighten :)

Sounded like a great night. How do you go about getting a guernsey for the next one?
I'd have love to have gone but didn't know about it.

Sounded like a great night. How do you go about getting a guernsey for the next one?
I'd have love to have gone but didn't know about it.

It was a Hills Brewers Guild event. You have to be a paid up member.
We meet in the North Rocks/Castle Hill area regularly if you are interested in joining.

Beers,
Doc

This was in the local paper this week

JS_Article.jpg

Nice one - down the stairs next to the kettles, bet the aroma was nice :) Have to get one of those for the inner west/south/east brewclub...

Rob's a pretty good bloke ain't he

Nice one - down the stairs next to the kettles, bet the aroma was nice :) Have to get one of those for the inner west/south/east brewclub...

Rob's a pretty good bloke ain't he

Yeah, a great night!

Rob and Chuck were happy to give us the answers to any questions we cared to ask. Very informative and made us all feel welcome.

If anyone can get on a tour there, I suggest you do it. Also, pick up a case of your favourite sample on the way home to show your support towards a great brewery.

Cheers,
Jarrad

Back