Help Please, Fermentation Is Not Happening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep... you've shifted into the advanced class. There's no hope for you now...

No way! I'm such a beginner :p I mean, you should see the stupid questions I'm asking about my cyser batch... Seriously ;) You should *hint hint*.

small farmer, i had a look at that yeast,temp range 15-24c. so temp shouldnt be problem.
did you airate your blend before pitching? though i think so4 might be the culprit.
maybe boiling blend and starting again may work however might be best to start again from scratch.
time for your second post, let us know whats happening with your brew.

small farmer, i had a look at that yeast,temp range 15-24c. so temp shouldnt be problem.
did you airate your blend before pitching? though i think so4 might be the culprit.
maybe boiling blend and starting again may work however might be best to start again from scratch.

Are you a cider maker doug?

Thanks for all your feedback. It sounds like i've got a barrel full of weed killer. The recipe I started with (courtesy of an ABC website) said add two camden tablets per 5 litres of juice and leave for 12 hours before adding yeast.

I googled camden tablets and found a conversion rate to SO2 powder (which I had in the cupboard). Clearly the conversion amount was wrong as I've just had a look at wiki and got another conversion which says 10 tablets equals one level teaspoon of powder.

I've also had a look at this forum about pitching the yeast. Following the instructions on the packet may not be enough to get the yeast active. Im not one hundred percent clear about what "pitching" exactly means. Any advice relating to cider?

So - my next project must be the large pear tree in the garden. The pears are nearly ripe.

Cheers
Small Farmer

Farmer if it's any help the book I have says 0.44g per Campden tablet, and I get about 6.5g of metabisulfite in a level teaspoon eg nearly 15 tablets per tsp.

@Katzke: he pressed is own apples which should answer the preservative question.

Read the post. He added store bought 'natural jiuce'.

I agree he has way to much yeast kiler in it. It could also be the 'natural jiuce' he added had preservitives in it. Never can tell what they put in 'natural' products these days.

I've also had a look at this forum about pitching the yeast. Following the instructions on the packet may not be enough to get the yeast active. Im not one hundred percent clear about what "pitching" exactly means. Any advice relating to cider?

So - my next project must be the large pear tree in the garden. The pears are nearly ripe.

Cheers
Small Farmer

You have to make cider the way you make wine. Cider is not like beer, its not based on recipes. Some think cider is like beer and do things like boiling the juice.

Apples and grapes are about the only fruit that will make a good drink just by fermenting the juice so long as you have good, well ripened fruit. Cider making is about understanding the processes, and protecting the cider from exposure to air. You made a good start with the first step, pressing the fruit to get juice. The next step is pitching the yeast - powdered yeast has to be rehydrated, usually in 35C water for 20 min. Ignore all the stuff about aerating the juice, (another thing from beer makers), if you have fresh-pressed juice there will be plenty of oxygen in there.

Greg

Latest posts

Back