Hay-like flavours....Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can find a comp put it in that and you'll get some constructive feedback, just to be sure your not dry hopping with Saaz as that's a freshly mown grass flavour

I think it must be down to my new mill. I used to crack my grain with a corona mill by hand and recently upgraded to a barley crusher. It didn't really occur to me that the mill would be the culprit, as I feel like I am crushing the grain less. However, reading around I have discovered that if the rollers are spinning too fast it can destroy the husks and thus introduce astringency and off flavours into the mash.

I am going to increase my width and hand crush a batch and see if this solves my problem.

All.Hopped.Up said:
I think it must be down to my new mill. I used to crack my grain with a corona mill by hand and recently upgraded to a barley crusher. It didn't really occur to me that the mill would be the culprit, as I feel like I am crushing the grain less. However, reading around I have discovered that if the rollers are spinning too fast it can destroy the husks and thus introduce astringency and off flavours into the mash.

I am going to increase my width and hand crush a batch and see if this solves my problem.
I ended up buying an ozito high torque, low rpm drill to combat this. About 100 bucks from a large hardware chain store.

Back