Have I Killed My Hop Plant

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooraf

Reaction score
ok i had a small rhizome of wertemberger growing (got to about 5cm tall) and then over the xmas/nye holidays i was away from home for a few days here and there.. now i rigged up a drip system but found out when i got back that it failed and the hop plant basically all shrivelled up and died...

now my question is have i killed my rhizome or will it shoot off again??

should i try and put it into another pot with new soil?

It might shoot again, mine have in the past shrivelled up completely then started off again later.

I think the only way you can actually kill a hop plant is to overwater it (which I have done once or twice), they seem to keep coming back after anything else.

Just keep the water up to a reasonable level and it should bounce back.

My Chinook was about 30cm long before withering right back to nothing. Was contemplating digging it up as the other plants were going crazy, but in the last 10 days, it's re-sprouted, and shot up nearly a metre!

Just hang in there and see how it goes!

Cheers

It might shoot again, mine have in the past shrivelled up completely then started off again later.

I think the only way you can actually kill a hop plant is to overwater it (which I have done once or twice), they seem to keep coming back after anything else.

Mine are wilting a lot in the last heatwave ( complete with shriveled up leaves etc )

Any guide lines for how much water is too much. (I put 3 buckets full on 6 shoots this morning, but was the tail end of 5 x 35C+ days down here in Melbourne).

BTW does anyone know what to put on the leaves to stop the bugs eating them?

Latest posts

Back