Has This Happened To Anyone Else

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usastman

Reaction score
Guys,

I brewed up a wort. Was doing a no chill - but waited for hot wort to stop convectioning to whirlpool.

I put into cube. Last night found that the wort had started to ferment (wort had swelled up).

It smelt OK - had a krausen going.

I have put in a fermenter - bubbling away.

I am assuming I have got wild teast into the brew.

Not sure what I will end up with??? Has this ever happened to anyone else

Guys,

I brewed up a wort. Was doing a no chill - but waited for hot wort to stop convectioning to whirlpool.

I put into cube. Last night found that the wort had started to ferment (wort had swelled up).

It smelt OK - had a krausen going.

I have put in a fermenter - bubbling away.

I am assuming I have got wild teast into the brew.

Not sure what I will end up with??? Has this ever happened to anyone else

yep...managed to stop it happening by making sure I tipped the cube on its side so the hot wort was in contact with the lids while it chilled.

when it has happened before I emptied the cube and reboiled it, re cubed etc

A few weeks back I let the last two litres or so from the mash tun drip into a 5ltr jerry, put the lid on and forgot about it. Saw it 3 days later and it had a full on Krausen going. Would have been 50 degrees or so when the lid went on I guess.

Yep, last summer. Had a lovely Belgian Pale Ale freshly brewed.
Sat it in the garage for a week with no problems, then I moved it over a bit to get to something.
The next day it's bulging at the seams. Oh no.
Cracked it open and was hit with creamed corn stench.
Very depressing as I watched it swirl down the laundry drain.

Going from a stain on the garage floor, the tap bung was loose. Moving the cube was enough for a bug to get sucked inside.

yep has happened to me twice...

First time was a Munich Helles last year.. ended up pitching more yeast and fermenting it. It turned out ok... just with a touch of sourness. Ended up drinking it fast so as not to worsen.

Second time was about 4 months back... 1 of the 2 cubes of triple decocted bo pils. Depressed about that, cause i put alot of effort in decocting and stepping. After only 2 days, was swollen up bad and smelt pretty awful. Tipped it in the garden and threw the cube (blue willow jobbie which was always a pain). The second cube is a really nice beer, so that makes it hurt even worse.

You may be lucky and it may not be wild yeast... just may be a yeast that you've recently used in the brewery... although i would imagine it would be a massive underpitch (if you haven't pitched more yeast) and you'll get the associated yeast stress flavours that come with it.

Triple decocted and all!!. I'll bet you swore like a trooper mate. That's cruel!!

yep has happened to me twice...

First time was a Munich Helles last year.. ended up pitching more yeast and fermenting it. It turned out ok... just with a touch of sourness. Ended up drinking it fast so as not to worsen.

Second time was about 4 months back... 1 of the 2 cubes of triple decocted bo pils. Depressed about that, cause i put alot of effort in decocting and stepping. After only 2 days, was swollen up bad and smelt pretty awful. Tipped it in the garden and threw the cube (blue willow jobbie which was always a pain). The second cube is a really nice beer, so that makes it hurt even worse.

You may be lucky and it may not be wild yeast... just may be a yeast that you've recently used in the brewery... although i would imagine it would be a massive underpitch (if you haven't pitched more yeast) and you'll get the associated yeast stress flavours that come with it.

Did you work out why this happened?

Triple decocted and all!!. I'll bet you swore like a trooper mate. That's cruel!!
One of those silent rage moments. Beyond the swearing and throwing stage... just quiet violent thoughts

Did you work out why this happened?
Nope, not really... just chalked it up to a shitty tap on the cube that must have either let something in or harbored something nasty that the heat didn't kill. Now i only No chill in cubes without taps.

Latest posts

Back