Hard To Buy, Good To Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! That's just about every style...

For my mind, I really love English-style ales/bitters, crisp, fruity and just hoppy enough. Australian examples are pretty rare, and imports are too expensive for what it is: close to $10 for a pint bottle.

I just need to find a good recipe for what I want (I'm doing BIAB partial mash at the moment) - I'll have a good look around here.

Seems also that Kolsch and Altbier are favourites as well.

Cheers.

:icon_cheers:

Smoked beers and English beers for me. Rauchbiers are available close by, but not a huge selection so it's nice to be able to brew something different every once in a while. I find some English beers tend to travel poorly or just taste flaccid from the bottle so I like to have them fresh and on tap.

And anything with an insane amount of hops.

Good thread. Few ideas for me. Half of these beers I've never heard of.

Something not that easy to find is infected/under pitched/oxygenated beers, so I occasionally make my own

Something not that easy to find is infected/under pitched/oxygenated beers, so I occasionally make my own

From memory, Bridge Road produced a wide range of infected beers a while back.

LOL ^^

If I could pick a difficult to find style it would without doubt be Belgian Sours/Lambics.
Sadly, they are harder to find/more expensive as they are harder to make/take ages, go figure!

More mainstream, definitely English Ales/Milds - get ever harder to find here it seems, and what does arrive comes in ever worse condition. Far better to brew your own, especially for such a short-lived style of beer (at its peak at least.)

Belgians too for me - not hard to get but expensive and I can't think of a more obvious example of a real 'craft' style of brewing that is an inspiration to try and recreate. /Me puts on hairshirt and sets about bbbbrewing bbbelgians.

+1 for koelsh. Simple grain bill, simple beer. Great flavour, if you're patient enough to let it condition. Mine's usually almost gone by the time it hits "peak" condition haha.

Latest posts

Back