'hamelin Bay' Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kocken42

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Put down my first ever lager just over 2 weeks ago in the hopes it would be ready for the footy grand final. I can't exactly remember where I got the recipe from, so apologies if its been posted before. And I've given it this name because every year for the last few years we've camped down in Hamelin Bay for the GF weekend, and hit up the good ol' Karridale Tavern to watch the game. But just to let people know it's a winner...

Made up to 23 L

1.7kg Coopers heritage lager.
1.5kg Coopers light LME.

10g Hallertau hops @ 15 mins.
10g Hallertau hops @ 5 mins.

Saflager S-023 yeast

Maintained ferment at 10 degrees for the first week, and then allowed to sit at 14 degrees for the second week.

OG - 1044
FG - 1012

Tasting the beer straight from the fermenter, has a subtle malty nose, a rich golden colour and tastes excellent!

Can't wait to see the beer after a few weeks of lagering and in the bottle!

Hey guys,

Put down my first ever lager just over 2 weeks ago in the hopes it would be ready for the footy grand final. I can't exactly remember where I got the recipe from, so apologies if its been posted before. And I've given it this name because every year for the last few years we've camped down in Hamelin Bay for the GF weekend, and hit up the good ol' Karridale Tavern to watch the game. But just to let people know it's a winner...

Made up to 23 L

1.5kg Coopers light LME.

Saflager S-023 yeast

Maintained ferment at 10 degrees for the first week, and then allowed to sit at 14 degrees for the second week.

OG - 1044
FG - 1012

Tasting the beer straight from the fermenter, has a subtle malty nose, a rich golden colour and tastes excellent!

Were the hops boiled with some of the LME? The last time I made the Coopers heritage lager I pitched in some Hallertau for the ferment. It came out nice, but still needed to be tweeked. Your recipe appears to be like what I was looking for.

Looks great MLP....nice and simple...i bet its a cracker...let us know what the head rentention is like. How are you carbing?

Try steeping some carapils say 200g or so....maybe some dry wheat malt 300g...

Hey guys,

Made up to 23 L

1.5kg Coopers light LME.

Saflager S-023 yeast

OG - 1044
FG - 1012

Were the hops boiled with some of the LME? The last time I made the Coopers heritage lager I pitched in some Hallertau for the ferment. It came out nice, but still needed to be tweeked. Your recipe appears to be like what I was looking for.

Hey Parrothead,

I boiled the hops with a few litres of water and the whole can of light LME.

I've just warmed the brew up for its Diacetyl rest, and then into the fridge it goes!

I'll probably be priming with dextrose for now...unless there's a better way to go which will change it drastically for the better. In reality the beer will probably just be slammed back by me and a few mates, so colour and head retention aren't a high priority for this brew :) but all the information I can get is always a bonus.

Cheers!

Back