Gruen Transfer Tonight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
g,day all,on the gruen transfer tonight is talk about the kiwi bar barge (was originaly posted here sometime back as the brewery had jobs vacancies for the possie).
anyway this bar barge was put together as a promo for a kiwi brewery and sailed to pomgolia,up the thames all as a marketing campaign and used by expats to spread the word about this beer,so if you are interested just tune into the show tonight...cheers....spog.......

And there's also going to be a link given out as they get the ad companies to promote obesity, homosexualty etc in a short advertisement. Should be a cracker!

EDJIT!

link to article...

yeah looks like the advertising piss takes have over stepped the mark big time,which will only be seen on the web not on the box..cheers....spog.......

yeah looks like the advertising piss takes have over stepped the mark big time,which will only be seen on the web not on the box..cheers....spog.......

I dunno, I think the ad was pretty good. It's an anti-discrimination ad, and I think it does it effectively (albeit shockingly)

I dunno, I think the ad was pretty good. It's an anti-discrimination ad, and I think it does it effectively (albeit shockingly)
I disagree - while I completely get the intention of the ad, it is the wrong message to try to send. The message The Foundry is trying to send is that 'any discrimination is wrong, and all discrimination is the same'. That's BS. I'm a big, white bloke of non-jewish descent. To say that my poor lifestyle choices that have lead me to be a big bloke are on par with the slaughter of millions of innocent people should be seen as a very offensive statement.

The problem with fixing the ad would be that as the agent from The Foundry said, a lesser joke wouldn't have the same impact. In fact, making the fat joke worse than the Jewish joke would be making an even worse statement.

Should we also put laughing at red-heads on the same level as laughing at the holocaust? I don't think so. That's not to say we should endorse laughing at red-heads, but there are degrees. Most jokes contain a level of discrimination that makes them funny. The questions are though - is the joke said to incite more discrimination? To make light of their discimination? To endorse their discrimination? To parody their discrimination? This must be compared to just how harmful that discrimination is to that group. In the case of red-heads, I'd have to say that it hasn't really effected them drastically, and if they are unhappy with their look they can change the colour. In the case of the Jewish people, it has affected their history in a way that will not be forgotten, and it's something that they cannot escape.

The ad may indeed have been useful for inviting discussion, but in all fairness it's not something for television. That said, without some sort of discrimination, jokes just wouldn't be the same;

Q: What do you call 5 mexicans standing in quicksand?
A: A troublesome situation that could soon become fatal.

Hmmm, interesting take on it. You're right, not all discrimination is the same, there's degrees.

But I took the ad to mean that all discrimination is wrong, regardless of who or what it discriminates against. We shouldn't tolerate discrimination against fat people because it's not as bad as the holocaust, otherwise where do we draw the line? Discrimination is wrong, period. I don't think the ad makes a comparison.

But I agree with you, that some discrimination is less offensive and long lasting.

Its an interesting, if difficult, area to ponder.

I agree that all discrimination is wrong, but some is worse than others.

Taking the 'shape discrimination' thing, consider this: is it any worse to make a joke about a Jew's (semetic) nose than a fat person's waistline?

JamesCraig: I think it is, on the account that a person's nose shape/size/whatever is dominantly predetermined whereas a person's waistline is most often variable based on a person's lifestyle choices.

JamesCraig: I think it is, on the account that a person's nose shape/size/whatever is dominantly predetermined whereas a person's waistline is most often variable based on a person's lifestyle choices.

Yeh, but who's to say that those lifestyle choices aren't dramatically influenced by upbringing, income, education, or even medical factors like mental illness?

Just finished watching the whole thing. I have to add how refreshing it was to see people actually talking about an issue, presenting and defending arguments rather than just screeching and talking over each other.

If all television was like that, Id probably watch more of it.

Hence the bolding and underlining of "most often". I'm not talking about kids here, I'm talking about educated, independent adults.

To say that my poor lifestyle choices that have lead me to be a big bloke are on par with the slaughter of millions of innocent people should be seen as a very offensive statement.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that is drawing a pretty long bow... I don't think the average Jewish person would have even associated that ad with the holocaust.

The problem with the ad is that it is easy to confuse its discrimination message with racism. Maybe there's only a fine line between the two, but I think saying all Jews are tight arses is discriminatory, but saying all Jews are scum and must be exterminated is racism.

I got the message of the ad, but I think it was poorly executed. I think the "shock factor" thing has just become another over used tool in the ad-execs tool kit.

is it any worse to make a joke about a Jew's (semetic) nose than a fat person's waistline?
Adamt is right that a nose is more likely to be the result of genetics, but I think it comes back to what the joke is about - if it's a joke about big noses that doesn't single out people of Jewish descent that's very different to a joke that identifies those people by their prominent feature.

In the case of this ad, the joke singled out the people of Jewish descent in particular reference to the holocaust, not only highlighting the discrimination but endorsing it (so that we dislike this character). If the joke was indeed about a semetic nose, it would indeed be a very different ad, but the intended effect would be lost.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that is drawing a pretty long bow... I don't think the average Jewish person would have even associated that ad with the holocaust.
The Jewish joke was a holocaust joke. I don't see how else you can interpret it.

Oh ok.. my bad... seems I didnt get the joke at all. The up the chimney thing I took as knicking the presents that Santa had left. :huh:

Now I totally see your point QB...

Oh ok.. my bad... seems I didnt get the joke at all. The up the chimney thing I took as knicking the presents that Santa had left. :huh:

Yeh, I thought that the joke was about nicking presents, not the holocaust.
Anyway, interesting ad even if it just provoked discussion.

Yeh, I thought that the joke was about nicking presents, not the holocaust.
Well, the ad has pointed out two facts then;
  1. You at least know of more prejudices, since they came to mind first.
  2. You don't know history too well.
:p

I'm well aware of the holocaust, QB, but I'm a little embarrassed that I misinterpreted it the wrong way, given the line about Santa coming down the chimney... anyway. I guess the ad has been effective, the amount of discussion generated has to be some kind of positive.

Seeing it in this light now only makes me stand by my comment about the "shock factor" before and I think it's execution is even worse now (no pun intended)

Back