Grain Mill Stand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just picked this stand up from Bunnings, $39.00. Its a kitchen cart, but has a nice stainless steel top, I fitted my Barley Crusher Mill to it. Bought a 27 Litre rubbish bin for $12.00 that fits snug inside. Now all I need to do is mount a motor, I,ve been using my cordless drill on my mill for the past 4 years with the mill mounted to a small piece of plywood which I would just sit on top of a bucket.

09062011_003_.jpg

The New Mill Stand.

Might see if our poor excuse for a green shed has these. Mounting a motor will be ok on the benchtop?

Might see if our poor excuse for a green shed has these. Mounting a motor will be ok on the benchtop?

If they don't, then get the product code / barcode for it and your local Bunnings can do a stock transfer for no extra cost.

QldKev

Just picked this stand up from Bunnings, $39.00. Its a kitchen cart, but has a nice stainless steel top, I fitted my Barley Crusher Mill to it. Bought a 27 Litre rubbish bin for $12.00 that fits snug inside. Now all I need to do is mount a motor, I,ve been using my cordless drill on my mill for the past 4 years with the mill mounted to a small piece of plywood which I would just sit on top of a bucket.

View attachment 46270

The New Mill Stand.

Now you just need a decent mill. :p

Cheers

Paul

You could easily line the sides of it with some MDF or similar to keep the dust down... great idea!

love this idea for a setup... nice and mobile, gotta get myself one. Personally i'd just chock up the bin so it's a bit closer to the bench top and mill. Keep it nice and clean that way i reckon

IMO you're going to have feck all room to mount the motor. This would be better suited for someone who is going to power it with a drill (as you had done previously with the bucket).

If you have the nouse to motorise it, then I would suggest that you also have the ability to also build a stand that will fit the motor and the mill. If this is the case you could also build a shute to direct the milled grain into the bin.

This rubbish bin is a great receiving vessell.

Got around to motorising my grain mill today, I used a B&D garage door opener that I had put aside many moons ago for this purpose, the gear reduction is spot on to run the mill and very powerfull (It used to lift a 7 metre wide door). It was a very easy conversion, everything basically lined up spot on. I used a small aluminium box from Jaycar to house the forward and reverse switch and wiring. I never liked the idea of big pully's and belts, so this makes for a nice compact unit and it runs very quiet and smooth too. So to the sceptics out there!!! there is more than enough room to fit a motor and at $39.00 for the stand, I could not buy the materials to make it for that price and with the draw in place without the bottom in it, makes an excelant chute.

06082011.jpg

06082011_001_.jpg

Got around to motorising my grain mill today, I used a B&D garage door opener that I had put aside many moons ago for this purpose, the gear reduction is spot on to run the mill and very powerfull (It used to lift a 7 metre wide door). It was a very easy conversion, everything basically lined up spot on. I used a small aluminium box from Jaycar to house the forward and reverse switch and wiring. I never liked the idea of big pully's and belts, so this makes for a nice compact unit and it runs very quiet and smooth too. So to the sceptics out there!!! there is more than enough room to fit a motor and at $39.00 for the stand, I could not buy the materials to make it for that price and with the draw in place without the bottom in it, makes an excelant chute.

View attachment 47504

View attachment 47506

It looks excellent. Nice neat setup, like you said no dangerous pulleys.

QldKev

View attachment 47504

View attachment 47506

Looks great mate. I have access to plenty of old garage door openers from the family business, and I pick up my crankandstein today, so I was wondering if you could post a few more details about how exactly, you connected the mill shaft to the motor shaft and any other nuances. I had thought about doing this but not actually having my mill yet made it hard and I also wondered about the actual speed and whether it would be fast enough (gutsy enough, yeah!)

Thanks

Nev

Nice work, Redneck.

I'm using an ikea shelving system that the wife picked up from the scratch & dent, bargain close-out area for a $5'er:
ikea_stand.jpg

Very similar to your arrangement. I'm in the process of removing the top level so it doesn't stand so tall. I've ordered a MashMate MiniMill with 2" and 12" pulley and I plan to mount the motor on the lowest tier with the belt feeding the mill in an off-vertical manner. I plan to put my receiving bin off to the side (not directly under mill as you have done) with a flexible chute for delivery. I'll put an on/off switch at the top next to the mill and hopper and haven't quite decided if I'll enclose the unit, or just fabricate a gear guard. Either way, fun project.. it's nice having all of this on castors as well for easy arrangement.

Will post pics when I'm done.

Cheers
reVox

Here are some more close up pictures of the workings. The motor is 240volt rated at 1/2 horse power according to B&D specs, the reduction is 16:1, its rated at 800Nm (600Ft Lbs) torq.
I crushed some grain with it and was very happy with the speed, and I believe my crush is much better now than before when using a drill.
I realy didn't have to do any major mods to the motor or mill, I just left the motor in its original mount and everything lined up spot on, and the shaft size for the crown wheel gear was the same as the shaft on my mill.

07082011_001_.jpg

I drilled 2 holes through the shaft to take the roll pins to hold the crown wheel gear in place, these were sorced from the old shaft that the crown gear was on.

07082011_002_.jpg

Had to make a small cut out for the crown wheel, I had thought about packing the whole mill and motor up so the gear would miss, but decided it would look much better this way. I may in the future make a cover for the gearing and the motor.

07082011.jpg

Latest posts

Back