Grain Mill Roller Gap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gday ben
justin is spot on the money.$260 +freight to where ever you live in aust.i to couldnt be bothered with the wait.
the shop you are after is...
northern districts brewing supplies
shop 7/22 blenheim road
north ryde
nsw

email....
[email protected]
ph 02 98895122
ask for gerard meares

doc thanks for the info on the wheat

cheers
big d

What a tricky question. Some people crush as fine as blazes and use plenty of rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge. Others do a coarser crush to preserve the barley husk. Some argue that a light spray of water prior to crushing enables a finer crush and preservation of the crush. Others swear by double crushing - coarse crush followed by a finer crush (again preserving the husk).

The crush you can achieve without a stuck sparge can also depend on the mash gear you use. eg. two people with different gear can do the same crush and one will flow easily while the other may stick.

It's all a mystery to me. I currently crush on the mid setting (Valley) and bung in plenty of rice husks. It's time I did some experimenting I think.

cheers
reg

Reg,

This is the setting I used to use.
I now use the minimum gap on my Valley for wheat and one back from that for all other grain.
I do get a lot of flour from the crush, but I have a mesh bag that I put over my MLT manifold. I don't then have a problem with a stuck sparge, and I get higher efficiency too.

So start experimenting, it won't hurt.

Beers,
Doc

I have all this to come

ive got one to ben.just waiting to sort out my grain supply.its a real head ache at the moment.
doc..i remember your pics you posted with the mesh bag over your manifold.good to hear it works a treat.if i have any dramas at least i know i can try your method.
interesting thoughts reg.i wouldve thought most people were all setting on a particular proven gap but but obviously not as there are quite a few variables involved.
aahhhh the joys of homebrewing and experimentation

cheers
big d

Latest posts

Back