Good Base Goo For A Belgian?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interloper great thread. Has inspired me to make a belgian. Have just ordered a candy thermometer so I can make my own belgian candi sugar. Also just ordered the hops from Ross. Going to LHBS tomorow to get the goo tin, LDME and Dex. The only difference I have made is in the yeast and have gone with the Belgian Saison Liquid Yeast for the wider recomended temperatures more suiting my area this time of year.
Do you reckon this will change the product much? and if so in a negative way?
Not really aiming for anything specific as I am relatively uneducated in the belgian arts and haven't even tried many, just keen to give one a go. :rolleyes:
Anyway cheers again for the inspiration and will report back on product.
Marlow

Hi all, I love the Belgian beers so put together the following with awesome results:

Coopers Canadian Blonde tin of goo
500gms LDME
300gms Dex
1kg Belgian Candy Sugar (home made, based on excellent advice from the AHB forum)
Belgian Ale yeast
30gms tettnanger hops @ 10 mins in the boil

It is just 3 weeks in the bottle and is one of the best tasting brews I have ever made. I just loved everything about it, aroma, mouth feel, alcohol content.... The spicey floral notes of the tettnanger hops.... the belgian ale yest.... everything just clicked in this brew...

I'm keen to know what other tins of goo people would recommend using as a base for Belgians for all us K&K folk?

Hey, like your style Interloper. What volume did you make it up to and what ABV did you end up with? I`ve got a kilo of Belgian candy sugar doing nothing and have been wondering how to put it to best use.

The only difference I have made is in the yeast and have gone with the Belgian Saison Liquid Yeast for the wider recomended temperatures more suiting my area this time of year.
Do you reckon this will change the product much? and if so in a negative way?
Not really aiming for anything specific as I am relatively uneducated in the belgian arts and haven't even tried many, just keen to give one a go. :rolleyes:
This yeast will change the product greatly. Belgians, by and large, are very much driven by the yeast choice.
Same base kit/malts and different belgian yeast can result in beers that differ more so than say, two english ale yeasts.
Saisons are a very different beast to say a belgian tripel or dark strong ale.
Negative? Depends on your point of view. I certainly don't think so. Others might.
You will want to try and keep the yeast at the higher end of its range for a saison. Depending on the particular one you have purchased they can stop working if they get too near the bottom range.

Have a bit of a read about saisons and you'll get an idea of what to expect.
Saisons are spicy, sometimes a little tart, a complex and interesting beer.
Just don't expect to get say a Duvel out of that base and that yeast...

Coopers Canadian Blonde tin of goo
500gms LDME
300gms Dex
1kg Belgian Candy Sugar (home made, based on excellent advice from the AHB forum)
Belgian Ale yeast
30gms tettnanger hops @ 10 mins in the boil

Interoper/ or anyone else,

Any ideas on the abv or O.G. & F.G.

Thanks
Nathan

Back