Ginger Beer Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz1111

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a quick question.
I have 2 x Morgans Ginger Beer Cans which I need to use.
Can I use the two in together to increase flavour? Still just keep the same amount of water top up (as you would for a single brew) , but use everything else the same?

Cheers
GAry

Known as a Toucan.
Never done it myself, but is is quite common to use 2 cans to brew a Stout. By all accounts, it works really well.
Whether it will work for GB, I don't know, but what do you have to lose? You can always dilute it in the glass if the flavour is too much for you.

IMHO if you want a more flavourful end GB you'd be far better off adding some fresh ginger, lemon zest etc - than another can of relatively mediocre GB mix.

As double the cans in the same volume of wort will be twice as sweet when brewed - as it's using artificial sweetener - so this might be an issue. You might also find that the OG of the wort will be uncomfortably high for whatever yeast the kit came with - and tossing in both packets might still not be able to eat through it properly as it's just too high for that strain of yeast.

Seeking more flavour is a good thing - adding extra fresh ingredients would be how I'd do it - doubling up the cans would bring extra risks IMHO. :)

IMHO if you want a more flavourful end GB you'd be far better off adding some fresh ginger, lemon zest etc - than another can of relatively mediocre GB mix.

As double the cans in the same volume of wort will be twice as sweet when brewed - as it's using artificial sweetener - so this might be an issue. You might also find that the OG of the wort will be uncomfortably high for whatever yeast the kit came with - and tossing in both packets might still not be able to eat through it properly as it's just too high for that strain of yeast.

Seeking more flavour is a good thing - adding extra fresh ingredients would be how I'd do it - doubling up the cans would bring extra risks IMHO. :)
Spot on. Never brewed this kit, but if it contains artificial sweetener, you're on a hiding to nothing by doubling it up. You could add a sachet of light malt extract, though, as well as the fresh ingredients @Nick the Knife suggests, if you want a stronger brew.

A great way of making a shandy is to mix a can or bottle of alcoholic ginger beer with an equal amount of cider. You don't need many!

Thanks everyone,
I had wondered if it would make any difference so your above answers confirm what I thought. Typically a waste.
I will just add extra ginger etc along with some other bits and pieces similar to the Kingsley's brew.
Appreciate your help,
Gary

Hi all,
Just a quick question.
I have 2 x Morgans Ginger Beer Cans which I need to use.
Can I use the two in together to increase flavour? Still just keep the same amount of water top up (as you would for a single brew) , but use everything else the same?

Cheers
GAry
Go for it, fun to see how it turns out

If it was me, i'd do 2 seperate brews with different ingredients.

How they turn out will be valuable experience

Latest posts

Back