Getting Chilly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.T.B.Co

Reaction score
A bath of ice and water will maintain a temperature 0 °C since the freezing point of water is 0 °C. However, adding a salt such as sodium chloride will lower the temperature through the property of freezing-point depression. Although the exact temperature can be hard to control, the ratio of salt to ice influences the temperature:
  • −10 °C can be achieved with a 1 to 2.5 ratio of calcium chloride hexahydrate to ice.
  • 20 °C can be achieved with a 1 to 3 ratio of sodium chloride to ice.
  • −40 °C can be achieved with a 1 to 0.8 ratio of calcium chloride hexahydrate to ice.
I am starting to gear up for partial mashing and will use this as a guide to chilling my wart in a bath of salt and ice slurry
the cooler the better I recon ;)
I read that that's how fisho's keep their bait and catch longer.
I tried it last year and my ice lasted almost 8 days in a foam exki :blink:

I thought that some members might not know of the idea so I hope it helps.. Cheers Dave

I would add that metal stress is a consideration if you have something like a 120degC temp differential.

It is also not a good idea to run coolant below zero in a plate heat exchange because it could potentially freeze the wort side and damage your gear.

Colder chilling water will chill faster but won't necessarily be as energy efficient.

If you have an ice machine go for it, but otherwise you'd just be wasting ice and salt (which you'd then need to dispose of).

treefiddy said:
Colder chilling water will chill faster but won't necessarily be as energy efficient.

If you have an ice machine go for it, but otherwise you'd just be wasting ice and salt (which you'd then need to dispose of).
Yeah I agree re: efficiency, but I do have a freezer for ice making so why not.

A newbie to mashing

I am also thinking of making a two stage chiller The 1st coil flows through a tub with ice and then flows through to the wart chiller.

But how quick can we chill a wart without killing it!!

I tried it last year too in my chiller box
Found the ice melted much quicker but was colder for a period of time

Back