George Iv Brewpub Out Of Action!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slurpdog

Reaction score
Hi all

Just had to make a trip down to the Southern Highlands and thought I'd drop into the George the IV brew/pub for lunch on the way home.
When I got there I found that the whole joint is roped off, with signs claiming that the pub is temporarily closed due to unforseen circumstances.
Anybody from the region heard anything about why?
I hadn't been there for many years and was looking forward to sampling some of the inhouse brews.
Guess I'll have to wait! :(

I love to sit outside the George IV when we have the (MALE)Macarthur Ale & lager enthusiasists AGM .it is a nice setting with plent of colourful characters rocking up all the time at the weekend .

However IMO I feel the quality of their brews has gone down in time ,I often remember the 'Burragong Bock' used to be a great drop , never think much to the beer their these days . It inspired me to home brew .

Havent heard of why they have been roped off.

They get a lot of bikers , bikees , and bike clubs there perhaps there was an incident with the billiard cues ? :huh:

Pumpy

I did ask the staff at the Imperial Hotel, because that's where I ended up for lunch due to the closure of the George, and they mentioned something about the roof collapsing in. Thought some of the MALE members might know something a bit more substantial.

Just saw an ad on the lifestyle channel, on Foxtel, for a program called 'The pub with one beer'!! featuring the guys at the George.....starts March 12th

Maybe you hit them on a 'wrap party' day and they were just fencing off the rabble!!

Just saw an ad on the lifestyle channel, on Foxtel, for a program called 'The pub with one beer'!! featuring the guys at the George.....starts March 12th

Maybe you hit them on a 'wrap party' day and they were just fencing off the rabble!!

Was just going to post, did anyone know the pub in the advert/ Looks like being a fascinating series...

Cheers Ross

Ill see whats going on there tomorrow as I work in Picton

Glad we decided on the James Squire at King St Wharf instead of the George for lunch yesterday then.

I got the skinny from the horses mouth.......

The strong winds on Friday evening/Saturday morning 'assisted' the chimney stacks on the roof to take a horizonal position, narrowly missing the sky light in the main bar and the HLT inside the the ceiling space. This caused a huge bow in the pressed tin ceiling in the pub......so the SES roped off the pub and they got a crane in to 'readjust' the chimney stacks\

All is back in action again!!

I love to sit outside the George IV when we have the (MALE)Macarthur Ale & lager enthusiasists AGM .it is a nice setting with plent of colourful characters rocking up all the time at the weekend .

However IMO I feel the quality of their brews has gone down in time ,I often remember the 'Burragong Bock' used to be a great drop , never think much to the beer their these days . It inspired me to home brew .

Havent heard of why they have been roped off.

They get a lot of bikers , bikees , and bike clubs there perhaps there was an incident with the billiard cues ? :huh:
Pumpy

I too have found the quality of the bock has gone down lately.

Used to be one of my fave spots to sit and have a beer.

And yes, I am one of these bikers you mentioned :p

I was just watching the lifestyle channel on foxtel and noticed a preview for an upcoming series called "The Pub with one Beer" featuring what looked like the George IV.
Anyone know anymore about this?

I was just watching the lifestyle channel on foxtel and noticed a preview for an upcoming series called "The Pub with one Beer" featuring what looked like the George IV.
Anyone know anymore about this?

Bobby, Linz already pointed this out earlier on in this thread ;)

cheers Ross

I found out about the "doco" about 6 months ago when I applied for the brewers job when the guys took over..part of the job description was to be comfortable with a TV crew following you around..its 'fly on the wall' type deal on the day to day operations

As I'm not in the show....I didnt get the job....but still hounding them from time to time B) ;)

Just didnt know when it was to hit the small screen...

Its never been the same since these two guys went there

Pumpy

Should be an interesting show though, I'm really looking forward to it... :)

cheers Ross

the last sharers lager i had went unfinished - too sweet and cloying, i would be too embarrassed to serve it up if i brewed it.

Back