Gassy Ferment, Finished?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Yard Brewer

I HAVE A WIFE THAT UNDERSTANDS
Reaction score
The recipe below was made two weeks ago today. Three days ago I racked to secondary and today I have bottled it. The gravity was stuck/finished at 1.016 for the last 3 days and according to the alcholiser at work the ABV was at 5.45% which is pretty spot on.

Back to my question, the finished wort when bottling was still very gassy, something I have never noticed before. Has anyone had a beer that they new was finished but still seemed very gassy when bottled??

BYB

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 38.00 L
Boil Size: 49.53 L
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 27.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.50 kg Marris Otter (Bairds) (5.9 EBC) Grain 95.36 %
0.34 kg Bairds Medium Crystal (141.8 EBC) Grain 3.43 %
0.06 kg Bairds Chocolate Malt (Dark) (1300.0 EBC) Grain 0.60 %
0.04 kg Bairds Black Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 0.40 %
0.02 kg Choc Chit (Joe White) (800.0 EBC) Grain 0.20 %
54.00 gm Progress [6.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
62.00 gm Styrian Goldings Flowers [4.40 %] (15 miHops 8.0 IBU
26.00 gm Styrian Goldings Flowers [4.80 %] (1 min)Hops 0.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [Starter 200Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.96 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Saccharification Add 26.00 L of water at 77.0 C 70.0 C
20 min Mash Out Add 7.20 L of water and heat to 75.675.6 C

Notes:
------
90min mash
Achieved 50ltrs at 1.050 after sparging
After boil achieved 1.058
After chilling achieved 1.058 at 37ltrs
Pitched a brand new healthy starter of Wyeast 1084 at 750ml into each fermenter. 18.5ltrs in each fermenter.

BYB, I get that sometimes. It's seems to happen when the beer has been fermenting at a cooler temp, you bring it into a warmer place to bottle and the carbon dioxide that has dissolved in the wort during fermentation comes out of solution. Shouldn't be a problem really if that's the case.

BYB, I get that sometimes. It's seems to happen when the beer has been fermenting at a cooler temp, you bring it into a warmer place to bottle and the carbon dioxide that has dissolved in the wort during fermentation comes out of solution. Shouldn't be a problem really if that's the case.

Actually now that I think about it you could be on the money. It had been fermenting at around 18c or even a bit lower which I know is not that low but the norm with most of my ales is at least 20-22c. I primed it at a lower rate than normal today so I will just have to monitor.

BYB

From what I gather, those hops will all be fairly 'earthy', so given some time, they'll settle down in the bottles.... just be sure to store them for a while.... but if you're like me, you'll get into them nice and early.......

I prefer my english styles fairly young, but it may be more tame in a few weeks time... restraint is the key, as well as time for a few brewdays in between :)

Cheers

Back