From Another Forum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhino171

Reaction score

Posted: Friday May 04, 2007 2:53 pm Post subject: drinking out of seconardy fermenter or 1st

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello i'v got a question about
secondary fermentation,
is it ok to drink straight out of the secondary fermenter
at the 3-4 week mark instead of bottling???
if so do i need to add any other extra sugar or preferable dex to the
secondary fermentator?

As sometimes me and mates, just drink out of primary ferminator
after a couple weeks, (they go home drunk to their wives), so
i'm wondering whether its still ok to drink straight out of the
primary and secondary fermenter as well.

cheers
ben.

i just put down a coopers bitter with 500gm ldm& 500gm darkmalt&25gmfuggels

:super: :beer: :beerbang: :chug:

you what ....

i think ill leave this one to some of the more experienced guys to ponder over

Well look on the bright side. He'll never have to bottle ever again.!!!!!!!

At least the poor bugger didn't get such a slamming here as he got at that forum!!!
Good to see, i'll be back.

Evaporation from secondary is something I think we've all seen at some time or another. A whole session from the fermenter with mates is another matter, but I reckon there'd be a beer or two out there that could do the practice justice!

At least when the Doc ask's "how many do u drink per day" he can look the Doc in the eye and say "only one sir!"

Posted: Friday May 04, 2007 2:53 pm Post subject: drinking out of seconardy fermenter or 1st

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....fermenter ........fermentator?........ .ferminator ...........fermenter

:lol: Reckon he may have just been sampling a bit before posting!

I hope he uses a glass

I guess carbonation will be an issue... if it is important to you. From the question I get the impression you are planing to take all of the steps of a bulk prime... Carbonation sugar into a spare fermenter, rack off primary into the fermenter with priming sugar... But instead of bottling, leaving it in the fermenter itself to carbonate, and drinking it from the fermenter.

Problem here is that the air lock in your fermenter will allow all of the gas to escape... instead of absorbing into your beer.

I guess what your trying to do could be related to racking into a cask... like a real ale? If one is to search for something to relate it to!

NO Chill
NO Mash
Now we have 'No bottle/keg'.
What next, should we just get stuck into the first runnings?
Perhaps we could just stuff our mouths with grain and some hot water and wander around for 90 mins :eek:

NO Chill
NO Mash
Now we have 'No bottle/keg'.
What next, should we just get stuck into the first runnings?
Perhaps we could just stuff our mouths with grain and some hot water and wander around for 90 mins :eek:
Now you're being ridiculous!

Anyone who knows anything about brewing knows that there's no alcohol in the first runnings.
You don't get the beer until after fermentation.
Before that it's just called wort.
However, if you want to drink wort, drink good wort. Why make it? Just buy a fresh wort pack from a reputable supplier, and tuck in. Beware the waistline and diabetes issues.

As for the no-packaging concept, I've heard of it before. Doesn't appeal to me, however.

Would U chill the beer in a fridge or serve at room temp, say 32C in Summer and 8C in Winter?

Rhino, is there something u wanna tell us? Was that your post "from another forum"?

Seth

Problem here is that the air lock in your fermenter will allow all of the gas to escape... instead of absorbing into your beer.

You might be surprised how much co2 can be in a beer even at atmospheric pressure. If the fermenter is cool enough you could probably end up with a volume or so of co2 remaining in the fermenting beer, and if you're brewing ales (or just not particularly bothered about fizz) it would be perfectly drinkable.

You should take temperature (and therefore absorbed co2) into account when bottling too - it can make a significant difference.

I'm a big fan of drinking it at all stages of the process, it's the best way to learn - but draining a whole fermenter suggests a serious lack of planning, patience, or class...

im not sure if i should belive this thread :huh:

i brewed my first ever beer and drank about 5 litres at 18 degrees celcius from the fermenter after returning home with my drunk mates from a party. But after that proffesionalism came into play and never ever again.

No way you should do that on a regular basis.

p.s This is a confession of mine

Rhino,

Looks like you will have absolutely no need for those 7x19L + 2x40L kegs.
Why not give them away to a good home, I know just the place!

Back