Fridge Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichLum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know a few people here know a fiar bit about fridges so hoping someone can lend some adivice...

I got a Phillips 410L fridge a few months ago from a friend for free when they upgraded.
It has been working fine.
Was a little noisy every now and then but nothing too bad.
I have the fridge part filled with homebrew and the freezer was good for extra frozen food storage:)

The other night I noticed it was making more noise than usual and at more regular intervals - used to hear the compressor kick in every couple of hours or so maybe, now it was kicking in every 20 minutes or so and would run for about 5 seconds then stop abruptly with a bit of a "click".

I checked on it and the stuff in the freezer had started to defrost.
I moved all that to my main fridge.

The beer down the bottom still seemed cold, but not as cold as it used to be.

I've turned it off at the moment as the noise was just getting too annoying when watching TV (the fridge is in the laundry and I live in an apartment).

Just wondering whether
a) this is a common fault
B) whether it is worth repairing
c) approximately how much I would be looking at (given you can diagnose the problem from my description)

If it can't be fixed or is going to be too exy I might just leave it unplugged and use it to store my fermenter in during summer instead of putting it in the bathtub filled iwth water and frozen bottles.
Will just mean I lose a shelf in my main fridge to beer again.... beer/food... the food will have to make way :)

thanks,
Rich

Well for a start are you monitoring the temp in the fridge ?
this is a must do in any setup.

It could just be the thermostat - they can stuff up easier than the whole cooling mechanism - i think i had a simliar issue - i have an old phillips fridge i think ? Anyway i just whacked in a new ts-50 tobins thermostat to replace the old one and it works a charm

lou

There is a dial to adjust the freezer and fridge temp.
Don't have temperatures on them though, just numbers 1-10
They are both about middle.

Is there a way to test the thermostat before going out and buying a new one when the current one may not be the problem?
If i do buy one is it the typw of thing you can install yourself?
I can use simple tools and a soldering iron... and if it's a simple swap in/ou type process then wouldn't be afriad to do it myself.
Or would I need to take half the fridge apart to get to it or something like that?

thanks,
Rich

Rich - are the rubber door seals ok. They may need replacing...hence the reason for the fridge trying to work harder to keep up with the cold air escaping? Just a thought? These are easy to replace.
Cheers
Steve

Try defrosting it first.

It will short cycle if the sensor bulb is in ice.

is it frost free? if so the circ fan could be stuffed.

Worst case it's low on gas. If its a pre 94 it might be exxy.

Hi Rich

A standard fridge thermostat is very unlikely to be appropriate. Fridges are art the minimum sposed to keep you milk fresh - ie at least 5 deg C. The thermostat is atched to and directly behind the adjustment knob and is usually just a matter of unscrewing the screw behind the light(unscrew light first and get a torch or lampo and have a good look) It can take a bit of "modiifcation to get the new thermostat to fit but in terms of the actual wiring it - no soldering required - the wires just have clips which slip on.

there are a few things you need to know - make sure you match the correct wires (i fried my little fridge) also you need to sand the contacts casue they come with a anti - oxidisation layer which insulates.

AND PUT A THERMOMETER IN THERE!!

Hi Rich

A standard fridge thermostat is very unlikely to be appropriate or brewing but okay if you are just keeping the beers cold??. Fridges are at the minimum sposed to keep your milk fresh - ie at least 5 deg C. The thermostat is attached to and directly behind the adjustment knob and is usually just a matter of unscrewing the screw behind the light(unscrew light first and get a torch or lamp and have a good look) It can take a bit of "modiifcation" to get the new thermostat to fit but in terms of the actual wiring it - no soldering required - the wires just have clips which slip on.

there are a few things you need to know - make sure you match the correct wires (i fried my little fridge) also you need to sand the contacts cause they come with a anti - oxidisation layer which insulates.

AND PUT A THERMOMETER IN THERE!!

lou

Also the extra noise could be from

1) the coil is frozen, so the comressor is trying to compress liquid, or

2) the fridge has no gas in it, so the comressor is just flogging away with no head pressure to keep the thing together.

RichLum, Where in sydney are you? I might be able to drop by and look at it for you.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

The door seals look OK
It is a frost free so no ice in the freezer compartment.

I've switeched it off for the moment so will leave it a couple of days and switch it back on. If the coil was frozen it should have defrosted by then yeah?

Timmy - I'm in Pyrmont. A bit far from Castle Hill, but if you are going to be near the area for some reason let me know and I'll take you up on that offer.

Worst case I guess I have a fermenter storage now anyway :)

Rich

RichLum said:
The other night I noticed it was making more noise than usual and at more regular intervals - used to hear the compressor kick in every couple of hours or so maybe, now it was kicking in every 20 minutes or so and would run for about 5 seconds then stop abruptly with a bit of a "click".

Thats sounds like it is tripping the overload on the side of the compressor when it tries to start, then waiting whilst it cools down and resets and has another go and does it again. Could be simple and be just a dodgy start relay not engaging the start winding of the compressor or could be more serious. Really you need a fridge mechanic or appliance type person to have a look

Cheers ausdb

RichLum said:
Thanks for all the advice guys.

The door seals look OK
It is a frost free so no ice in the freezer compartment.

I've switeched it off for the moment so will leave it a couple of days and switch it back on. If the coil was frozen it should have defrosted by then yeah?

Timmy - I'm in Pyrmont. A bit far from Castle Hill, but if you are going to be near the area for some reason let me know and I'll take you up on that offer.

Worst case I guess I have a fermenter storage now anyway :)

Rich
[post="75955"][/post]​

I mostly work in the city.

I can drop by some time.

Back