Freezer Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsomeguy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Spent the weekend looking at chest freezers after the one I've got decided that getting cold was not an option anymore. Anyway I looked at a F&P 261 litre slimline model which was nice but I'm not sure I'll be able to fit 6 kegs in there with a collar.

There doesn't appear to be too many optinosn for chest freezers so I was wondering if anyone has tried using an upright freezer instead. I've seen some that have the coolant running through a couple of the shelves and wanted to avoid some thing like that. I suppose I could very gently bend the shelves out of the way but would like to avoid it if possible. I'd be looking at fitting 6 kegs inside with, say 4 on a top self and two on the lower and CO2 outside. I'd certainly be building a shelf to hold the weight of the kegs.

Does anyone have any experiences with using upright freezers and what are the pros and cons of doing this ?

Thanks,

gary

would be interested in any info on this as well.

also, would temp control be any different in a freezer compared to a fridge??
joe

Hi,

If you are using a fridge then you shouldn't really need a temp controller unless you are wanting to use the thing as a fermentation chamber. If you are going to use a freezer then you will need some sort of external temp control to make sure the freezer doesn't do what it was designed to do, freeze !

Got the 'ok' from SWMBO to start looking for a new freezer. She reckons a reasonably new secondhand one would be preferable but is willing to let me get a brand spanking new chest freezer as long as it ain't too much ! Woohoo !!! :D :D :D

gary

would temp control be any different in a freezer compared to a fridge??

You'd have to have something to keep the freezer from getting to sub-zero temps. Just use a fridgemate to adjust to your desired temp by cutting off power when cool enough.

So are looking at an upright freezer (as opposed to a fridge) because of the better insulation? (Not that I know anything about that, but if there wasn't better insulation, I don't see the difference between an upright freezer and a standard fridge. One of the 'good' things about a chest freezer is you don't lose all that cold air when opening it up.)

So are looking at an upright freezer (as opposed to a fridge) because of the better insulation? (Not that I know anything about that, but if there wasn't better insulation, I don't see the difference between an upright freezer and a standard fridge. One of the 'good' things about a chest freezer is you don't lose all that cold air when opening it up.)

going with the freezer for two reasons. time and money. free freezer available now :excl:

going with the freezer for two reasons. time and money. free freezer available now
Joe,
I have it on good authority, that, the freezer you are getting is about 400D x 500W and all the shelves are removable. It is frost free, fan forced type.

I have a cyclic defrost as well, in kitchen, and it has the cooled shelves that can not be moved, I didn't check the other frost free freezer I have but from memory it has the removable shelves too, it definitely has a fan in the back.

thanks glen. a very nice freezer it is. i like the removable shelves, and i think the seals on it are better than the seals on the fridge in the kitchen!

make sure you give it a good clean, I didn't and it has been used to store samples from your work, if you know what I mean.

hi,

Well I know I'm looking at an upright freezer because chest freezers are becoming harder to get a hold of and the prices are getting pretty steep. The Centrex ones a lot of folks managed to get are apparently no longer available. I've been told that the company has gone out of business.

Looking for a chest freezer to something to hold 6 kegs means something pretty expensive if you were to buy brand new. I've not been able to find much second hand either. I'm therefore considering an upright freezer. I reckon it would be more efficient than a fridge and, if I get the right size, should let me hold 6 kegs. Upright freezers are also a lot easier to get a hold of secondhand here in Perth. Unless someone in perth has a spare chest freezer they want to part with... (hint hint ) :rolleyes:

gary

Back