Free Craft Glasses At Bws!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almopec

Reaction score
I was at the shops this evening and I picked up a 6 pack of LCPA this evening from BWS, as you can get a 2 pack of craft beer glasses, when you buy a 4 or 6 pack of craft beers. The BWS where I was had Little Creatures, Squire, Monteith's, 4 Pines, Fat Yak.... etc, you get the drill. The glasses seem ok and sturdy, you know the type - stemmed wine goblet type. Not sure of the volume, but probably around a stubbies worth.

Anyhow, if you were planning to buy a six pack to test something nows the chance.

Cheers
Al
:chug:

Those glasses are SO lame....give me a dirty big schooner any day....

Glasses with stems are for wine.

Those glasses are SO lame....give me a dirty big schooner any day....

Glasses with stems are for wine.

Awww I was just gonna run out and get some too.

Always wanted to be a "beer snob" and drink from a glass with a stem and talk about how much pineapple or citrus there is and mention a whole heap of scientific sounding words when drinking a mouth-numbing IIPA. I know a bloke that does that. It's ok if he was drinking a subtle beer or lager but no, its fully hopheadded stuff or Crown. Yes, Crown is a premium beer, says so on the label!

Everything is better in a stemmed glass with a hint of snobbery.

Just look at coffee-wankers who refuse to drink anything where the beans are ground any longer than 5 minutes ago, you know, oxygen and all...

I'm just looking for an excuse to go and get a 6pack of something I havent tried when the Mrs gets sus and says "but you make your own...". With a pair of free glasses with stems, I now have a reason. :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers,
Shred.

lol shred thats gold. I like to know the quality and if it is good then goes to show how much profit the breweries/bottlos are making. Well I admit I dont mind rum and misses mum is on a cruise they got into international waters a few hrs ago and she rang and said a 1.125lt of UP rum was $28 and the 1.125lt of OP was $30 so I got 2 bottles of OP :p since cost $32+ for 700ml of UP in the bottle shops. Oh and they prob had beer but she is half disabled and I aint going to expect her to carry 2 cartons off the boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Charst - the look like this: http://www.craftbeerrestaurant.com/Craft_B...nBeer_F1729.jpg

KBB - I like drink my beer from pint glasses like these: http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images0...2342dc80b/l.jpg

Shred - I like you, also had to justify why I bought more beer to the mrs, when she politely tells me: I have crates of beers down in the garage...
Nice glass to drink out of. Esp for some beer types
Shred ur douche on that post. Learn more thsn comment. Glass sfructute afect a lot of things. In beer mainly aroma but can affect taste. U obviously don't know anything olfactory and tae chemistry science or you'd know there id legitimacy to glass type.

Now in saying all that bws is just giving away ' impressive' looking glassrs to sell ber nothing scientific about it.
To the op. Thx for the heafs up. They r nice glasses.

Nice glass to drink out of. Esp for some beer types
Shred ur douche on that post. Learn more thsn comment. Glass sfructute afect a lot of things. In beer mainly aroma but can affect taste. U obviously don't know anything olfactory and tae chemistry science or you'd know there id legitimacy to glass type.

Now in saying all that bws is just giving away ' impressive' looking glassrs to sell ber nothing scientific about it.
To the op. Thx for the heafs up. They r nice glasses.

Sorry I offended you mate, I'll take your feelings into consideration in future posts.

I didn't think BWS was considering that much science when pairing up a single glass style with "any" craft beer so I didn't think to thoroughly research a response (which clearly was made mostly in jest as a result of my interpretation of the op as well as the post immediately before mine). Do you perhaps take your coffee that seriously too?

Unfortunately you missed the point of part of that my post so I will spell it out for you: drinking a beer with an overload of bitterness will, scientifically, numb your senses of taste and smell. The same is with any strong flavours being present in typical food. The best restaurants will often serve a "palate cleanser" in between courses to reset your taste and allow their flavours to shine. How will the shape of this glass reduce that numbing effect, scientifically? If you re-read the post, I was referring the comment to a person I know, it was not a sweeping statement about glass style.

You have alot of knowledge from what I've read and a great appreciation for beer, it is a shame that you feel the need to insult a person and make statements about knowledge or lack thereof as if you are the class bully who commands power and attention. In the end, you misinterpreted or perhaps misread my post and I am disappointed with your attack, I kind of expected better from you.

Again, sorry I offended you mate, even if you swirl your glass around holding it up to the light and take a sniff four or five times before sipping. We all have our ways of coping...

Cheers,
Shred.

I'll just throw in my objective 2 cents worth here for the sake of defending glass styles and say without being pompous or instructive, that although the Trappist style goblets could appear as having no practical qualities other than being grandiose or pretentious, theres a few design purposes that affect factors other than taste, for those who aren't aware.

1. The stem prevents heat from the drinkers hand from being transfered into the beer. Is this necessary? No, but if you're drinking a Chimay or something it's going to be a sipping beer, not a guzzling beer at the pub, so it sure helps.

2. The wide rim of the glass apparently accents aromatic qualities. We're presuming of course the people who're drinking premium beers care for such a thing.

3. The wide rim also accommodates for enhanced carbonation in some of the more Trappist/Belgian style beers such as La Chouffe, which has unrelenting carbonation in which a pint glass wouldn't manage greatly.

I haven't missed any 'point' to this thread, I'm just stating this to justify this certain style, for anyone who thought they were 'pointless' when paired with beer. Obviously, given the context, drinking a Fat Yak out of one of these isn't utilising the intended purposes of such a glass, but hell, if you just like the aesthetics of the glass, then why not drink out of it? I don't doubt they're marketed and paired with these beers because they think the public will want to snap them up because they 'look cool'. And they do, IMO. And who cares if those people aren't aware of the appropriate style for the glass or drink their macro-beers from them. It's not as if the Glassware Police are going to burst in through your door and take you to court on charges of 'Inappropriate glassware usage", and at the end of the day, they're the ones critiquing and deconstructing blatant flavoured beers, so let them.

I'm rather proud of my collection of beer glasses, both stemmed, stang, straight, dimpled, nonic, chalice, stein and tulip. I can't imagine sipping a belgian dubbel or a weizen out of a mere "schooner", a Pint glass perhaps... but a schooner?

I also enjoy my coffee freshly ground and take umbrage at your denigration of my proclivities in this regard.

I'm rather proud of my collection of beer glasses, both stemmed, stang, straight, dimpled, nonic, chalice, stein and tulip. I can't imagine sipping a belgian dubbel or a weizen out of a mere "schooner", a Pint glass perhaps... but a schooner?

I also enjoy my coffee freshly ground and take umbrage at your denigration of my proclivities in this regard.

In QLD its schooners, pints get too hot too quickly up here, even at the rate that I drink them, in winter, most definitely.

And I'm not saying I don't have a ridiculous collection of stupid looking glassware, I just prefer a dirty big schooner for my beer.

It makes me feel like a real man (yes I may have some insecurity issues going on there....), not some stem sipping shirt lifter with their pinkie up....

But, whatever floats your boat.

@gaze

The glassware police - Thats Gold!!!

For me, a belgian always tastes great out of a big leffe glass, and my germans always taste great out of a 1/2 stein with Schloss Neuchwanstein on it. Tacky, yes, but considering my wife got it specially for me, It's a fave.
You've gotta have your favourite glasses. But having a nice big fancy trappist out of a schooner? It kinda ruins the moment.

Never really noticed the shape of a glass changing the taste to be honest.

Test: Pour two beers, one into a fancy pants chalice, another into a standard pot glass.

Then come back and tell which is better. Or whether there's no difference at all.
If glassware makes such a huge difference then why don't BJCP/AABC insist on it for beer judging events?
Many comps I've attended have plastic cups.

I think a lot of the glassware stuff is about presentation & visual appeal which then makes you think the beer tastes better.
Mentally you see the beer looking better so you perceive it to be so. I suppose some glasses can effect the head on a beer though and this may effect taste in a small part - but that's kind of where it stops for me.

I guess in wine there's a lot of money to be made in selling a different glass for every different type of wine - you only have to check the Riedel website to see the people who make that stuff are doing very nicely. It's ridiculous how many glasses they sell. There's cash to be made in telling us we need a different item for every beverage.

I do enjoy drinking a European Pils or Dortmunder in a tall glass but I don't kid myself it tastes any better. Just looks freakin' cool.

Happy to be proved otherwise if someone can show me some science though. I haven't read the book, but maybe Randy Mosher's 'Tasting Beer' has some word on the subject if anyone has it.

Hopper.

Happy to be proved otherwise if someone can show me some science though.
Surely it is about the experience rather than quantifiably improving the beer itself?

A nice glass probably only works on those who already like them.

My favourite glasses are the straight sided schooner glasses that Fat Yak and James Squire use.

The pint versions are great too, they're used a lot in America.

I have a lot of glasses in my collection and always choose these ones first.

I was given some nice stemmed beer glasses and quite like it for alot of beers. not really for english styles but for alot of things I like them/
"Unfortunately you missed the point of part of that my post so I will spell it out for you: drinking a beer with an overload of bitterness will, scientifically, numb your senses of taste and smell. The same is with any strong flavours being present in typical food. The best restaurants will often serve a "palate cleanser" in between courses to reset your taste and allow their flavours to shine. How will the shape of this glass reduce that numbing effect, scientifically? If you re-read the post, I was referring the comment to a person I know, it was not a sweeping statement about glass style."

I'm not sure what the point here is. Are you suggesting that everyone drink nothing but low flavoured beers so that the lack of flavour shines, thus making any glasses aside from a schooner or a pint glass useless as you avoid drinking any beer that would suit those glasses? I'd suggest that you are not going to get many people here to agree with you.

Latest posts

Back