Fonts From The Uk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy

Reaction score
Hi all,

My brother is setting up a bar in his back shed and he has bought a font from the UK on ebay. It looks a bit different from the ones you get here, and he is after some advice on how to hook it up.

I haven't seen it in person yet (he lives a long way from me) so I cant speak for the fittings or anything (although they look John Guest), but I think his main concern at the moment is how to attach it to his bar (I have been living in the UK lately and I have seen these fittings before, they clamp to a bar rather than go through it like ones do here, he wants to mod it so it can go through a hole in the bar) AND he would like to be able to flood it.

I initially told him that flooding would likely not be an option unless the plumbing was already in there, but he sent me pics (attached) of it pulled apart and said there appeared to be ample room to run some extra tube through there. Has anyone every flooded their own font? Would the flooding hose need to be a metal, or could you use regular beer hose? If it needs to be steel / copper, could it just be bent in a single "in-around-out" setup or would it need to be helical around the beer hose?

Any help / tips appreciated, cheers!

Ebay Link

photo3.JPG

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

said there appeared to be ample room to run some extra tube through there. Has anyone every flooded their own font? Would the flooding hose need to be a metal, or could you use regular beer hose?

Flooded fonts work by filling the entire inside of the font with water/glycol, not by running an additional hose inside. From the looks of it (especially since it can be pulled in half) hes not going to beable to flood that.

Flooded fonts work by filling the entire inside of the font with water/glycol, not by running an additional hose inside. From the looks of it (especially since it can be pulled in half) hes not going to beable to flood that.

Wow, I never knew that! Hence "flooding" the font I guess, I always assumed there was a piece of metal tubing coiled around inside! If he had long lines connecting the font with the fridge would it be worth recirculating water / glycol up to and/or through the font around the lines or would that not make enough of a difference to worry about?

Has anyone used one of these fonts?

Cheers,

Jeremy.

If he had long lines connecting the font with the fridge would it be worth recirculating water / glycol up to and/or through the font around the lines or would that not make enough of a difference to worry about?

If he's using say 5m long lines with a 5mm ID there will be less than 100ml in the line, so it really depends on what you mean by "long". If its only a few meters, i wouldn't bother. If he's running it to the other side of the house then it might be worth it (but he'll have other issues to deal with then aswell).

Back