Fishing Victoria

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haysie

homebrewing is the art of over analysing
Reaction score
Hey Brewers,
Any fisho`s among us?
Where do you fish and what do you fish for?
My season goes something like this>
November/December- Snapper fishing Port Phillip Bay, had a great year 2010, bagged out everytime before the sun had fully risen.
January/Feb/March/April- King George Whiting fishing Westernport Bay, great year 2011, havent stopped eating succulent whiting fillets, they are thinning out now though, those shitfish (elephant thingys) are in numbers.
Winter- Chase trout at Eildon, Dartmouth and Jindabyne, not looking forward to this season though, huge rising dam levels, blue green algae.
Also we have a camp come July/August up around Bundalong where the Ovens meets the Murray chasing freshwater crays, we do ok but I hate those bastards who take the big females or worse still pull their claws off and throw them back.
In betweens I love hunting our native cod up around yarrawonga/wangaratta.

Heres a pic of my rig.
july09_011.JPG

No boat, but I am a dedicated beach fisherman. I tend to go as hard as I can from September - late November. Although there are fish around at other times, I 've kept a fishing diary for the last 4 years and this is the only time that I catch big reds, big salmon (although they start as early as easter), gummies, 7Gills etc etc...Victoria can be hard without a boat. My last two big sessions were both at Kingston SA and it was TERRIBLE (so make sure that you don't go to Kingston so that all the fish there are left for me). In all seriousness, I've never seen jewies caught like I have at Kingston. I'm terrible at freshwater fishing - I can get onto a few reddies and rainbows around Ballarat but not with any consistency.

Hey Lecterfan,
I used to fly fish your town lake back when it was the best spot in Victoria. About 10 years ago now. I going up to Eildon the end of this week and then back up the weekend after Easter. But more to chase the venison.

MB

Hey Lecterfan,
I used to fly fish your town lake back when it was the best spot in Victoria. About 10 years ago now. I going up to Eildon the end of this week and then back up the weekend after Easter. But more to chase the venison.

MB

MB, the lake used to be brilliant - we would go out on a friends boat and get amongst some decent browns almost every time, as long as we had mudeyes... I've also seen some monster trout under the boat at times...I think they have restocked it now as it is pretty much full again now. We can only hope that it returns to its former glory. As for the reds/sambar I haven't seen any in the bush for about 10 years and that was at Mt Lonarch...but that was back in my forestry days, I haven't been savvy about the deer for a long time.

Dedicated rock/surf fisher for Snapper and Gummies from November to April.

Then Salmon June till September. Have not been near the fresh water in years, probably will now that we have some again.

Mitternacht Brau.... I've spent countless weekends chasing Venison, both hounds and stalking.
Always have a great time in the High Country.

Speaking only for the mt cole/mt lonarch area (and I don't know the regs - I haven't paid any attention to deer shooting for about 12 years!!!) I don't know anyone who has done any good with dogs...and I have eaten plenty of fresh venizen from that area. Big guns and big patience seems to be the key.

I'll never forget one summer on standby driving around mt Lonarch, came around a hairpin and a full size sambar and doe were grazing on the grass in the middle of the road...toyota landcruiser 78 series trayback -hardly a ninja vehicle - had to toot the horn to get them off the track haha...I've never looked at deer stalkers the same after that experience haha...I used to rile them up at work saying I had to get out and slap them on the arse to get them off the road haha...sorry to haysie to drag this o/t. :icon_chickcheers:

Lived in Bendigo and fished the murray mainly for cod and yellow belly, but know im down at Warrnambool im getting into the ocean alot more.

Been fishing mainly for whiting at killarney area and bream in the hopkins, listening to as many people who are willing to tell me how and where. I have just picked up a surf rod and am keen to give it a crack.

Pump for worms and nippers its so easy down here to catch the bait before i fish no need to buy unless its pippies or small bait style fish.

Any hints and tips welcome

Kleiny

Never fished that area Kleiny, closest I have got is Bullen Merri at Camperdown, good trout and quinnout salmon. Do yourself a favour and jump on board one of the Southern Bluefin charters out of Portland, something that is on my "to do" list.

I going up to Eildon the end of this week and then back up the weekend after Easter. But more to chase the venison.

MB

MB, dont they close the hunting season around Eildon anymore? It used to be closed from December until after Easter.

I like to fish from January to December for Bream all catch and release on lures

also like other fishy creatures but 90% Bream

MB, dont they close the hunting season around Eildon anymore? It used to be closed from December until after Easter.

Hi Haysie

Yep I am going up with the family for a few days before Easter to toss some flies around the big river and my five year old daughter wants to come out with dad to "look for some deer" so it's a good chance to go for a walk with her. She loves all the outdoor stuff.

She has the ducks down pat(shed probably get her WIT licence before me) not that I take ducks but it's cool when she picks them flying past. Mind you I won't be taking a gun prior to Easter but I love the way she is fascinated with all the outdoor stuff that I love to do. We will be in the State Park then which is open all year round but the National park is opening the Saturday after Easter. I cant wait for that. Ill be up there Friday morning and going in with the boat to camp on the lake.Stalk in the morning and flyfish for the evening.

MB

surf fishing, at 90 mile (golden beach) and punchbowl, and been catching redfin and trout in mass numbers at a local spot 10 min walk from my house :) livin the dream

shaun

I have been slack as of late but did a lot of flyfishing from Rubicon and Goulburn, Eildon and a little at Big River. Occassionally go on ex- workmate's boat and grab flatties and snapper (first real snapper). Try occassional flatties of beach at Sandringham.

Always happy to do a fish and take a six- pack along if any of you are ever interested. I am Caulfield based.

I take little kiddies to Karrarook lake near Bunnings in South road (?).

I am also currently setting up an inflatable with all relevant gear (mini anchor, sounder, sea anchor, floating esky- for the fish of course!!) to comfortably seat two. Good for beach, rivers and lakes.

R

Going up to Eildon in a couple of weeks, camp the Friday/Saturday night somewhere along the bank thats got firewood. Hows the lake fishing?

I do a bit around eildon fishing snobs creek, rubicon, acheron etc. I seem to have the most success in the goulburn where we have a property backing on to it and we know the area. Just spent the weekend at Kevington catching plenty on the upper goulburn as well, browns, rainbows, reddies, catfish, carp grrr..... nearly everywhere we tried we landed fish.
I dont really fish the lake as I have no boat and the pondage is filled with fish I wouldn't eat.

Like to go out with the old man on his boat and get a feed of whiting and squid, cant beat fresh whiting and squid fried in some of those japanese panko breadcrumbs.

I try and get out once a week during snapper season (now), usually in the north end of port Phillip Bay.
Last year was a cracking season, this year, I've caught good fish each trip, but they're not exactly jumping into the boat!

Bought a 15 ft half cabin with 55 Hp Johnson on a trailer for $2,000, came with just about everything imaginable. It needed a bit of work, but we have installed new starter switch, steering linkages and will be working on its lighting and electricals this weekend. Should be right for a seaworthy and registration in the next few weeks and a boating licence.

Then we'll be off to the mussel beds around Port Arlington chasing pinkies and the like.

Should be fun.

I do a bit of fly fishing stalking trout.
Just got a new g.loomis 9' medium-fast 5wt - beautiful rod. Mind you when I concider my rod by itself (no reel, line, tapers, flys etc) cost nearly half what fraser_johns boat just cost him it make my stomach churn a little. Then again it has a beautiful action and is really nicely balanced.
Certainly a step up from my last fly rod thats for sure!

I also chase the king george whiting down at andersons inlet when im down at mum and dads holiday house during the warmer months. They're a good fun fish along with the estuary perch. I do this more from the social perspective of going fishing with dad - dont get much opportunity other wise as we work together (I manage his business so if he is away I need to be there and vice versa)

Never really been into the snapper fishing. Too many peckers out there (in their boats that match their mcmansions and hilux utes) taking way too many fish for my liking and generally being bellends. (edit : Im not suggesting all snapper fishermen are peckers just that snapper season seems to attract peckers onto the water)

Over all trout fishing really is what I love doing.

Back