First Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ford-ute

Reaction score
hi guys i would like to do my first extract brew but looking at alot of recipes i see most people brew to 23 ltrs

when i do kits i have found that i get a better beer when i follow all the same quantities as the kits sayes to use but only brew to 18 ltrs

would the same apply to brew extracts follow the normal recipe but only use 18 ltrs instead of 23 ltrs im just concerned because most recipes have 5 to 7 lbs of malt extract for stouts and you only put in one kit which seems to have less malt in it than that

hi guys i would like to do my first extract brew but looking at alot of recipes i see most people brew to 23 ltrs

when i do kits i have found that i get a better beer when i follow all the same quantities as the kits sayes to use but only brew to 18 ltrs

would the same apply to brew extracts follow the normal recipe but only use 18 ltrs instead of 23 ltrs im just concerned because most recipes have 5 to 7 lbs of malt extract for stouts and you only put in one kit which seems to have less malt in it than that

extract brewing isnt really that hard to do, and the results are well worth it. i would say do up the full 23 L for the extract brew. where are you getting your recipes from? i use beertools linky. they are good coz you can scale the recipe however you want and convert to metric measurements.

here is the recipe that i used for my first extract brew and it turned out great (just not enough of it sadly)

Aussie Golden Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 12.00
Total Extract (kg): 3.25
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.57
Anticipated SRM: 7.4
Anticipated IBU: 27.8
Wort Boil Time: 40 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 13.33 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.070 SG 17.01 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.7 0.25 kg. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
92.3 3.00 kg. Generic LME - Light Generic 1.035 7

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
17.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 18.7 40 min.
38.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 9.1 5 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

i think i ended up boiling it more than 40 mins for the hops, but it turned out nice. rather hoppy, but in a good way.

Lobby

thanks for the info and the link i have not sen this site before so i will have a play with it and thanks for the recipe it dose look like a nice easy starter im more of a dark ale person but variety is the spice of life so i might give it a go i have not tried a golden ale before (well i probably have but not realised it i have hade alot of different ale)

what was the FG if you have it writen down some where

Back