First Extract Brew - APA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks interesting. I need to have a look into my options. I have a mate who is pretty electrically skilled so hoping he might be able to assist wiring in a controller.

So it's been in the fv for 12 days and I just dry hopped 12g of Cascade (have not had a chance before now). The last 2 gravity readings have been about 1.020 (spread over a few days) so I am guessing it is pretty much done. It got a little cool over the last few days so not sure if this has impacted the last bit of fermentation.

So I am now wondering how long I should leave it before I prime and bottle (was planning on at least 2 weeks but I am flying out of town for a fortnight on the 14th so not sure if I want to leave it in there 4 weeks+)?

Should I chuck a heat pack in there to bring the temp back up a little?

Any advice?

I think you might of stalled the yeast, I would expect to finish more like 1.012 maybe give the heat pad a go

Yikes. I was hoping it would be okay. Brewmate have me a FG of 1.015 and it's sitting just under the 1.020 mark (just). I don't have a heat pad so I might throw in a heat pack and see if that helps a bit.

J B said:
Yikes. I was hoping it would be okay. Brewmate have me a FG of 1.015 and it's sitting just under the 1.020 mark (just). I don't have a heat pad so I might throw in a heat pack and see if that helps a bit.
Im not sure if this is common practice but I'd ultra wary of the heat pack idea, do you mean physically chuck a heat pack into the fermenter?

No. The FV is in a bar fridge with a towel wrapped around it. Would just put the heat pack in the fridge next too it. It probably won't elevate the temp for very long but would be the best I can do at present.

If it stays where it is just under 1.020 and I have to just prime and bottle it what are the potential impacts?

J B said:
No. The FV is in a bar fridge with a towel wrapped around it. Would just put the heat pack in the fridge next too it. It probably won't elevate the temp for very long but would be the best I can do at present.

If it stays where it is just under 1.020 and I have to just prime and bottle it what are the potential impacts?
Bottle Bombs! Which can be very very dangerous! You need to heat it up and maybe give it a swirl to get the yeast going again, can you move it to somewhere warmer? In a room with a heater? I know moving it is not best practice but better then bottle bombs!

J B said:

Ahh k yeah that would work, ironically just before reading this I went and checked the temp of my fermentation and its about 3 degrees lower than i want it, its wrapped in a towel and all I'm going to do is heat the towel up with a hairdryer for a while to bring the temp up

Moving is fine. Don't shake it, but give it some good swirl and let it build up some speed then leave it to suit again. Good luck...

J B said:
So it's been in the fv for 12 days and I just dry hopped 12g of Cascade (have not had a chance before now). The last 2 gravity readings have been about 1.020 (spread over a few days) so I am guessing it is pretty much done. It got a little cool over the last few days so not sure if this has impacted the last bit of fermentation.

So I am now wondering how long I should leave it before I prime and bottle (was planning on at least 2 weeks but I am flying out of town for a fortnight on the 14th so not sure if I want to leave it in there 4 weeks+)?

Should I chuck a heat pack in there to bring the temp back up a little?

Any advice?
Leaving it is pretty much always fine - months, maybe not, but weeks is cool.

Thanks folks. I've brought it upstairs and covered it with a few extra towels and stuck a few hot water bottles close by to bring the temp back up a bit. I'll check it again on Sunday and see if the little lads have done a bit more work.

Hi JB,
When i did extract brews i noticed that boiling all the extract resulted in beers with very little head. Better off using the liquor from the steeped grain( diluted to a gravity of 1040 ) or a small amount of extract and water ( at a ratio of 1:4) for better hop utilization anyway. When the boil is finished, turn off the heat , add the rest of the extract, put in fermentor and top up with tap water.
Cheers.

So the FV is sitting at about 19C now with some towels wrapped around it. I took another reading today but it is still at 1.020. :(

What other options do I have?

Should I just give it more time at this temp or can I rehydrate and pitch a small amount of yeast?
Should I just take it to the second FV, bulk prime with a lower amount of dextrose and bottle and hope for the best?

It tastes okay but I am worried now that if I bottle as it I will get some explosions...

Any sage advice would be appreciated.

Back