First Crack!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you add extra sugar to the bottles i would grab a couple of bottles and put them in the warmest part of the house for a few days to see if that helps.

Will try a few of these tips guys!

Cheers! , fingers crossed!

I'd be giving the bottles more time to carbonate, almost three weeks in the fermenter a load of yeast will have dropped out which you need for the bottle carbing so just means it'll take a bit longer to carb up,

personally keep them in a warmish spot out of sunlight but don't rush into anything like adding more sugar until you've given them a chance they will get there in time, I had some beers take up to 6 weeks to bottle carbonate properly, patience is the best answer, try another one in a week then a week after and you'll find them improving beer by beer

Kit Master is right, open bottles, re-sugar and recap, it does work well. Some times 2 & 1/2 weeks in the bottle is not long enough with the sugar drops, leave a couple for 2 weeks more and check.

Adding more sugar plus increasing risk of infection = bottle bombs.

I have moved the bottles into an old fridge with a heating pad inside, temp when I put them in was 17 deg, looking to get around 22-23? and wait another week or 2 :)

Bottles have been inside the fridge @ 23-25deg for 6 days, hoping to crack one this weekend i think and hope to hell there is some fizzzz :)

A tip that my LHBS told me once was to check for condensation in the neck of the bottle. If you see it, the beer should be carbonated. No idea what the theory is behind it (or if its even true). It seemed to work for me for the small amount of batches I bottled before moving to kegs.

Another good trick is to bottle a couple in PET. That way you can feel when they are carbed.

Well the bottles spent 10/12 Days in the fridge, with the heat pad setting the temp at a pretty constant 24/25deg, got a bottle out and threw it in the fridge for the day,

PSSST, goes the cap :chug:

Condensation in the neck and a good sound when it opened had me smiling, Poured nicely with some nice head, Thanks heaps forum-ers! , I would of more than likely given up on the batch and tipped them out, but alas, they have been saved :)

TASTE - Nice, not brilliant, but nice, tad watery? , very pale aley if that makes sense? ,, I drink a lot of your Carlton draught/VB/Melbourne/boags, so my taste buds are a bit cured to your average beer LOL,, good to knock 2 long necks off or so, then move on i recon, But first batch I'm pretty happy :)

Got a pilsner waiting to go for next batch, so this will be a completely different tasting beer I'm thinking, so thats exciting!

Thanks for everyones help!

Latest posts

Back