First all extract brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this one turned out good maybe a little light on the IBU's by the end of the keg it was awesomely sessionable

Made some adjustments on the next as follows

made to 28l (for some extra longies for testers)

adjusted the hop additions up to 43 IBUs

added 500g of amber LDME

300g Crystal

however I dry hopped with cascade and Amarillo (run out of citra)

After three weeks in the FV 8 days carbing this one is looking better again with a better balance with malt, bitterness and sweetness the only downside I think the Citra gave a much better aroma (next time)

I must say being time constraint (3 kids under 4)I think I've just about perfected a perfectly acceptable brew with out going to all grain of course, I still have 5 coopers kits to brew through but after that ill be sticking to full extract for a while.

Im hearin ya mate. I've been slowly gathering the bits and pieces for AG but with 3 young kids, it is difficult to make the leap from an hour and a half to 3-4 hours per brew. That and the fact that some of my extracts are coming out so good I doubt there will be a huge difference in quality. Certainly it will be cheaper doing AG but a saving of say $20 a brew isn't a massive difference when you consider your time.

That said I will still do it, but I reckon I will still make the odd extract when time is limited and kegs are low.

I find Ians spreadsheet great. I noticed some of my beers were coming out with much less bitterness than anticipated due to the hop concentration factor being turned off. If you are doing smaller boils (I do 5L) then leave this on as it adjusts the IBUs for the limitations imposed on alpha acid extraction by the smaller volume.

Droopy Brew said:
Im hearin ya mate. I've been slowly gathering the bits and pieces for AG but with 3 young kids, it is difficult to make the leap from an hour and a half to 3-4 hours per brew. That and the fact that some of my extracts are coming out so good I doubt there will be a huge difference in quality. Certainly it will be cheaper doing AG but a saving of say $20 a brew isn't a massive difference when you consider your time.

That said I will still do it, but I reckon I will still make the odd extract when time is limited and kegs are low.

I find Ians spreadsheet great. I noticed some of my beers were coming out with much less bitterness than anticipated due to the hop concentration factor being turned off. If you are doing smaller boils (I do 5L) then leave this on as it adjusts the IBUs for the limitations imposed on alpha acid extraction by the smaller volume.
I'm interested in the ag extract price comparison (sorry off topic) 20 dollars less for what batch size? I struggle to work out how all grain is that much cheaper assuming around 4kg of grain and about 4 dollars per kilo unless my numbers are way off? I mean I can do a good extract recipe of 21L for 30 dollars including spec grain hops and extract it surely all grain would only shave 5ish dollars off the price of extract?

Back