Festival Of Drunkenness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
From here

Archaeologists in Luxor while undertaking excavations at a temple dedicated to goddess Mut, have come across evidence of a mass siance by ancient Egyptians, who marked the first month of their new year by singing, dancing and drinking red beer until they passed out.

"The Festival of Drunkenness was not a social occasion for them. People did not come to enjoy themselves. They drank to enter an altered state so that they might witness the epiphany of a deity. In general, the ancient Egyptians frowned upon drunkenness, but they would come together to drink for a specific purpose," said Betsy.

I don't really see much difference to our New Years celebrations :p

Doc

I think I may have witnessed the epiphany of a deity .... can't remember exactly ...

KoNG said:
said... Betsy.....?????
[post="100678"][/post]​

You didn't follow the link did you :p

The ritual known as the Festival of Drunkenness was however not a social occasion for them and people did not come to enjoy themselves, said Betsy Brian, the chair of the Near Eastern Studies Department at Johns Hopkins University, who led the excavation.

Beers,
Doc

Have ended up epiphanied on quiet a few deitys during the first month of the year but don't remember witnessing any Mut. Should I be concerned, will my Achient Drunkenness lead to an excavation by the undertaker???? :lol:

"Dont be mad honey, the Goddess Mut, mother of all gods said that if I had a specific purpose then it was acceptable to dance and drink till I pass out."

Back