fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticksy

Reaction score
so I was looking at a cheap second/third fermenter for a secondary/small batch primary when I noticed these at work...

he2u2ynu.jpg

they are food grade plastic 20L capacity..... and free. has anyone else used something like this?

if so and you used it as a primary how did you deal with the krausen that would come out the top?

is it important that the krausen fall back into the wort?

1. That thing is ******* FILTHY.
2. That thing has the owner's name and "do not steal" info all over it.
3. That's a "cube". You'll most likely have read lots of people talking about fermenting in them already.
4. 20L cubes are more like 23L cubes.
5. You don't have to fill it to the lid - leave some headspace.

I ferment in cubes all the time. Back the lid off a few turns to allow co2 release. Might be the shape but krausen seems to be quite contained - ocassionally I get leaks so I just clean and spray with starsan.

Just need to make sure it is HDPE (high density polyethylene, same as a fermenter), clean and hasn't contained odourous chemicals. And that you are welcome to take it obviously.

1.yeah there are a few other things such as vinegar and the like. just used this one as an example.
2. as above, wont take this one haha.
3. I was wondering what a cube was! it all comes together (noob brewer if you hadnt noticed)
4. I dont understand... it has 23L of space in the 20L cube?
5. cool, ill mark out the literage.
(is that a word?)
thanks Bum.

manticle- worth the effort of an airlock? I currently have a coopers DIY fermenter and that doesnt use on.
thanks for the tips!

oh and I see the 20L fill line on the vinegar one. d'oh!

sticksy said:
(noob brewer if you hadnt noticed)
Everyone is a noob at some point. Nothing to worry about.

sticksy said:
4. I dont understand... it has 23L of space in the 20L cube?
I've never measured it out to confirm but my suspicion has always been that the declared volume for a given cube/fermenter is for when the vessel is emptied on a level surface (i.e the "deadspace" below the tap is still full of liquid).

HDPE is recycling symbol number 2

Don't bother with an airlock unless you really want to. Lid on tight, then back off a turn or so. That's enough.

Back