Fermenter Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko ACT

Reaction score
I was on the Gryphon website looking at their fermenter taps.

http://www.gryphonbrewing.com.au/store/pro...97b60ea6e151342

It reads;

FERMENTER TAP.Fits all standard fermenters and drums.The fermenter tap would be the major contributing factor to fermenter beer spoilage.The tap should be removed every brew pulled apart and cleaned.Also clean the fermenter threads.Your tap should also be sanitised before and after taking a sample from the fermenter.

How do I pull apart this type of tap for cleaning? I didn't think it was possible.

Dicko

That is a good point, I have only ever soaked then in steriliser. I have noticed that some have developed yeast communities within the tap.

I saw an photo essay on how to 'pop' them open for cleaning. But for $1.50 at Bunnings why would you bother?

Soak until you don't have the confidence in them, then buy a new one. Easy. :icon_cheers:

InCider.

It reads;

FERMENTER TAP.Fits all standard fermenters and drums.The fermenter tap would be the major contributing factor to fermenter beer spoilage.The tap should be removed every brew pulled apart and cleaned.Also clean the fermenter threads.Your tap should also be sanitised before and after taking a sample from the fermenter.

How do I pull apart this type of tap for cleaning? I didn't think it was possible.

Dicko

Easy to knock apart..just get a 12mm diameter bolt or such and say 100mm plus long, insert and punch apart using a mallet. Take the two bits, boil em up, reassemble and thats it. The before and after I guess means using an alco wipe or such to clean the spout

K

There is an excellent how to on this site, it went through the exact steps including pics on pulling one apart but I can't find the darn thing now.

In short you turn the tap half way, shove a piece of dowel down the guts of it and the tap slides out when hit on a hard surface on the edge.

To explain a little further where the beer would normally come out you rest that up against the surface and hit down on the dowelling or wooden spoon which knocks the tap out from the bottom.

I hope the above makes sense, I've explained as best I can, I make it part of my cleaning / sanitising process after every brew.

I saw an photo essay on how to 'pop' them open for cleaning. But for $1.50 at Bunnings why would you bother?

Soak until you don't have the confidence in them, then buy a new one. Easy. :icon_cheers:

InCider.
+1

I saw the same demo and thought "I should do that". Broke a couple of things (including my long handled stirrer) trying to get it apart, and when I reassembled it, it started leaking - only slow but leaking is leaking. Then I found them @ Bunnings as InCider said. Whole lot easier in the end just to replace after 'X' amount of brews.

Cheers,

microbe

+1 for the 'snap tap'...they are threaded together; so just an unscrew to disassemble and thorough clean and sanitize..

Easy to knock apart..just get a 12mm diameter bolt or such and say 100mm plus long, insert and punch apart using a mallet. Take the two bits, boil em up, reassemble and thats it. The before and after I guess means using an alco wipe or such to clean the spout

K

I'm starting to think you monitor my posts Kurtz.

Appreciate your advice. I used a 10mm wide metal rod and put a rubber washer at the end so I wouldn't scratch the platic. Worked like a charm...

The way I do it is get a pair of pliers and pull. Comes apart fairly easily. :icon_cheers:

shove a piece of dowel down the guts of it... hit on a hard surface on the edge.

I originally started doing it this way, but wouldn't like to do, because any dents or scratches in the tap right at that end could be difficult to clean and could harbour some nasties... :unsure:

Beware of the SNAP TAP !!
They look great, but when you get them home you'll find your "Lil' Bottler" won't fit ! And you'll be angry...very angry. Until one day, you go into your LHBS and find that they have the snap tap but HURRAH ! it has been cast with a slightly larger spout that will in fact fit the "Lil' Bottle". You'll be so pleased that you won't worry about the $8 per tap, coz you'll never have to worry about those dodgy Bunnings taps remaining leak proof after they've been beaten apart and back together 5 times. Beer will flow again, life will be GOOD !

No...honest....I haven't been drinking that mush.

Beware of the SNAP TAP !!
They look great, but when you get them home you'll find your "Lil' Bottler" won't fit ! And you'll be angry...very angry. Until one day, you go into your LHBS and find that they have the snap tap but HURRAH ! it has been cast with a slightly larger spout that will in fact fit the "Lil' Bottle". You'll be so pleased that you won't worry about the $8 per tap, coz you'll never have to worry about those dodgy Bunnings taps remaining leak proof after they've been beaten apart and back together 5 times. Beer will flow again, life will be GOOD !

No...honest....I haven't been drinking that mush.

IS that the dodgy spring loaded bottling wand???

cause the standard gravity bottling wand is a very firm fit into my snap taps(all of them!!).

Uh-oh...I've just bought a gravity bottling wand...if it don't fit, I'll be very :angry: again....

Back