Fermentation Stuck

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Hi All,
Need some advice on a brew im currently doing. OG was pretty high at 1080 recipe says that it should finish at 1019 but it's sat on 1031 for the last 4/5 days. I've tried swishing it around to no avail,did a bit of a google search and found an earlier post (2004) but that dealt mainly with Wyeast. This is Muntons Gold sitting at about 21 degrees, did get a couple of degrees hotter (25) and that's about when it stopped. So should keep swishing? Make up another starter and repitch? Or just bottle it and stick some barrier tape around it in case they start exploding? :D

Mix 2-3 tsp of yeast nutrient with about 200-300 ml water and boil the lot for a few minutes to sterilise it. Dump that into the fermenter while it's still hot. Swirl the fermenter gently before you replace the lid/fermentation lock because it will form a vacuum as it cools and this will suck your airlock's water into the fermenter. Once you add the yeast nutrient, swirl the fermenter twice a day for a week. Let it sit for a few more days. At that point, it's not going to attenuate further.

The yeast nutrient trick always works for me.

WOW thats a high OG by what you saying the beer if finished at 1.019 would be 9.3%alc ATM its still 7.3%

Not to sure what you should do was just amazed at the high OG whats the reason for it?

That's the recipe (a 9%), which i've already re-named woobly boot stout. :D
Just another question. I remember reading on here that you can use old kit yeasts for the yeast nutrient if you boil them for a while, thus killing all the yeasties and leaving the nutrient. Is that correct or did i get my wires crossed somewhere?

Back