Excessive Foaming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedie

Reaction score
What some feed back on this issue that am currently having?

About six months back I made a brew with about 15% unmalted barley it was split into two vessels the first one was racked to kegs as some were available the other tank sat in the cool room for 2 months

It was keged recently and force carbonated t about 2.2 volumes

Now is where the problem starts the first batch that was keged poured really well good head and plenty of lace

The next batch pours like mar rang it fills the glass with foam and very little liquid

This is disappointing to say to least as there is about 150 liters left to consume

The beer doesnt display any off aromas or present any thing out of the ordinary in flavor

I know that there is a term for bottled beer gushing but this is generally from wild yeast fermentation

I recall something along the lines that malt may have a mould on it that isnt affected by the boil so this may have been passed into my brew from the unmalted barley

This didnt happen to the first lot of beer so slightly puzzled at present

Cheers speedie

What do you mean by "tank"?

My first guess is it's over carbonated.Keep burping keg to release excess co2 till you achieve acceptable pour.

Assuming you first rule out accidental over carbonation - then the most common explanation for gushing is usually field fungus, mostly fusarium although other types of mould that grow on barley/malt can cause gushing too.

Given that your first batch didn't gush and this one did... my guess is that its not fusarium, I'm pretty sure that time doesn't increase its tendency to cause gushing.. but I wouldn't bet my life on that.

So its probably something to do with aging. It could be oxalate crystals that have precipitated over time and are giving nucleation points, it could be excessive calcium doing the same. It could be just plain old chill haze which has come together and is giving nucleation points. It could be that there is some iron, copper or other metal contaminant in the beer and together with time for oxidation and the iso alpha acids in the beer... that can cause gushing. It could be a heap of things, or it could be random. Gushing is one of the remaining brewing mysteries... sometimes beers gush and there just isn't a known reason why.

Gushing is about nucleation points - so if you cant solve the issue at all... it could be an idea to filter the batch to remove any fine particles that are in it. No warranty that that will work... but it might be worth a shot if you just cant serve the beer.

good luck

TB

"tank" a term that i us for my 220 litre fermenting/storeing vessels

Have just read a few of OP's posts in other threads and thought I recognized the same condescending inflection.

I accept your very valid point but I was referring to the borderline literacy. And the abject idiocy.

It might be worth a shot to check your beer out line seal on the keg, this happened to me, it was shot, thought Id overcarbed.

mick thanks for your post re poppett out valve
i have had similar problems with that before
the problem still persists with more that one keg of the same batch
cheers speedie

Back