Estimated Time Of Explosion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
G'day,

Had a bit of a bo peep on the site, wondering if there is an answer, probably not definitive though.

I understand the basics of bottles exploding and, touch wood, have not experienced this yet. My example is a beer that possibly had a high FG when bottled.

My question, is there a general timeframe after bottling when you would expect things to detonate? I have been told (and seen) that once one goes, a few go.

Obviously not expecting it narrowed down to days and hours but really just wondering that if your conditioning brew lasts a so-called 'explosion stage' then it will be intact until you feel the desire to drink it.

Cheers to anyone who just took two minutes to read this.

Most beers carbonate within a month if stored at room temps.

Maybe crack a couple to see the explosiveness?

Do this on a regular basis. If there is an issue, you may be able to save them by cracking them all to relieve the current pressure, then recapping.

If in doubt next time bottle a few in PET's and give them the butters squeeze test. :icon_cheers:

It would be hard to give a range because bottle explosions are caused by many factors. Commonly it's from bottling too early, which means that there are residual sugars that continue to ferment after bottling. The other common one is an infection, which can eat away at every remaining sugar chain (including ones the yeast wouldn't).

Then there's all the variables:

What bottle type?
What yeast strain?
What mash temp?
What infection?
What temperature?
What type of cap?
What type of beer?

There's many factors that contribute, it could mean problems within a week or it could mean problems 6 months down the track.

I can vouch for there Murphy rule.....

I got hit in the arse with the top and neck of a bottle that exploded at the NSW case swap, it had been bottled for over a year from memory and just decided to give in right at the point that I was looking in a neighbouring milkcrate and the offending bottle was right behind me.

Luckily no injuries as I was wering heavy denim jeans at the time, but it did scare the crap out of me, almost literally........

I have had quite a few explode even after 3 months in the bottle :) Normally always after a couple of unsually warm days though (bottles kept in cupboard in garage).
A good sign for me was after pouring a beer a few weeks after bottling and having alot of excess foam and bubbles.
Also have had some explode after 6 months but i'm pretty sure that was due to an infection rather than bottling too soon.
rejoice in kegs and good sanitation.

Leon.

Back