English Pub Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantocks

it's time to step up the BPM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

ended up getting 100gm of Goldings pellets delivered today (5.5% aa)

The thing is I want to replicate the beer I used to drink in the English pubs, hoping this is the sort of hop for the job. What would the best kit be as a starter to make a similar styled beer?

Also, once I open this packet where is the best place to store the rest of the pellets? glad wrapped and in the freezer?

any idea of the IBU of an English pub ale or bitter?

cheers :)

ahh.. light ale, just the general pub quaffer. just an easy-drinking beer, something similar to what most pubs in London and surrounds serve up to the punters.

thanks,

so would 15g @ 30, 25g @15, 10g @ flameout be okay you reckon, or would that be too much?

Bjcp makes almost no differentiation to the regionality of different english beers....
imo, for a standard bitter, go OG 1035-1045, and hop it somewhere in the region of 50-60% BUGU. If you're after a southern style (ie Greater London), hop on the lower end....if looking for home counties, hop in the mid range, if looking for north, hop in the upper range. Personally, I would go 1035-1040, 18-25 IBU. Malt should come through, and not be overridden by the hops.

you would be better using unhopped extract with around 200g crystal. But if you want to use a kit as a base, I've heard good things about the Muntons Yorkshire Bitter. Go all malt with this, and hop with 12-15g ekg for 15min. Muntons apparantly comes with saf yeast as well, from what I hear.

you would be better using unhopped extract with around 200g crystal. But if you want to use a kit as a base, I've heard good things about the Muntons Yorkshire Bitter. Go all malt with this, and hop with 12-15g ekg for 15min. Muntons apparantly comes with saf yeast as well, from what I hear.

+1 on this, have also heard good things on the muntons yorkie

Looked through my partial notes and here is something from 2006.
Cant recall OG but it tasted ok though the salt addition are a bit on the high side looking back at it.

23 litre
1.8 kgs kit Yorkshire bitter (Muntons)
2.1kgs pale ale malt
250g Crystal malt
250g Flaked Barley
300g Brown sugar
0.5g/L of gypsum 0.2g/L Bicarbonate soda to mash liquor and sparge liquor
Mash grain @67 75 min
Boil 75min

Hop bill
20g Goldings pellets 75 min
20g Goldings 30 min
10g Goldings 15 min
Add can 10 min and 1/2 tablet whirl flock
10g Goldings flame out.
London ale yeast WLP013

Chilled
Primary 1 week
Secondary 1week.
Bottled with dextrose 6g/L.

matti
:)

thanks for the tips guys,

put down a Bitter, I done 20g @ 30 and 20g @ 15, when boiling the hops though is the water meant to stay that green colour? or will that all settle to the bottom of the fermenter?

thanks for the tips guys,

put down a Bitter, I done 20g @ 30 and 20g @ 15, when boiling the hops though is the water meant to stay that green colour? or will that all settle to the bottom of the fermenter?

Did you boil the hops in just water or did you dissolve some extract in it first?

would it be possible to make a base with just LDME instead of using a kit and then just hop away in a boil ?

would this work at all, or do I need a can of goo?

I'm pretty sure you can do it no worrries. The main thing to consider is that the LDME verses the can of goo is more (?) fermentable as the can is approximately 20% water. So when you do your recipe formulation you need to take this into account. I think.

As for if there is any effect on flavour/body/mouthfeel, i'm not too sure.

Cheers

SJ

would it be possible to make a base with just LDME instead of using a kit and then just hop away in a boil ?

would this work at all, or do I need a can of goo?

Absolutely, using either dry, liquid, or a combo....that's extract brewing. ;)

Hey Quantocks

LDME = dry malt. LME = liquid.

If you can commit to it, try getting bulk LME and bulk hops (>500g). Saves a small fortune and gives you a LOT more flexibility. Then, tool around in Beersmith to see what happens when you do what... and don't forget that specialty grains are an amazing thing. The results, so far from two brews in this manner are so far above K&K and K&E that it's just not funny.

A little more work, a lot more flavour. More pleasure in the taste, less desire to quaff (yeah, yeah, I accept that I will hear "speak for yourself" at this comment).

Combine that with ascending colour and hop profiles while re-using slurry and you're on the slippery slope to the dark side (AG), but having a grand ride while you're at it.

Cheers - Fermented.

Back