English Bitter With Chips?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitnessfan

Reaction score
I'm no connoisseur, if i described my beer i would say my first ever English bitter is bitter (well duh) with a nice smooth finish sort of like burnt caramel. I don't taste flowers, citrus, apples or the fruit of the seldom heard of Himalayan screaming tree. So a question to those of you who do have an experienced palette and do know your flavours your beer and your food... Is it just the inner bogan in me or is a nice english bitter (not just any beer) the perfect drink to have with some nice salty chips and beer batter fish?

Mmmmm yeah it is.

I think its the flavours of the caramel and the earthyness of the hops.

And the fact the beer is already half flat after eating salty fatty chips :)

It all helps.

cheers

Bitter, to me, goes well with a nice roast dinner.

Best Bitter and a Glasgow salad :icon_cheers:

whats a Glasgow salad winkle ?

I'm no connoisseur, if i described my beer i would say my first ever English bitter is bitter (well duh) with a nice smooth finish sort of like burnt caramel. I don't taste flowers, citrus, apples or the fruit of the seldom heard of Himalayan screaming tree. So a question to those of you who do have an experienced palette and do know your flavours your beer and your food... Is it just the inner bogan in me or is a nice english bitter (not just any beer) the perfect drink to have with some nice salty chips and beer batter fish?

That's the beauty of beer. You can drink it with medium rare venison and a burgundy jus with dauphinoise potatoes or you can drink it with fish and chips or a beef pie. Such a diverse beverage has an equally diverse application.

It's a shampoo, lubricant, vinegrette, marinade, batter, thirst quencher and salt-balancer.

Have you brewn YOUR beer for the nation?

From the lowliest of peasants - to the mightiest of kings
Who doesn't enjoy a good beer! :icon_cheers:

I think british bitter with aussie chips sounds good.
Brittish chips are so greasy however, your just asking to vomit it all back up for the dog.

whats a Glasgow salad winkle ?
I know a Glasgow Salad as just chips, usual presentation is in plain butcher's paper with brown vinegar and salt.

The country is renowned for the fish supper, battered fish with Glasgow salad, while I was there I enjoyed plenty that were just grand, washed down with a can of Tennent's. Och noo, I dinnae ken a word they said!

A night out eight pints of bitter on the way home a bag of chips with curry sauce and mushy peas and wake up in the morning with the village bicycle :lol:

Latest posts

Back