Eeeeek, Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Decided to try a brew that I have been worried about since first smelling the bubblings from the airlock. Its a toss out for sure. Looks good, good head, but smells bad like marker pen or similar and the taste hits you right in the back of the tounge, yuck. Bugger.
Lucky I have just gotten into kegging so tipping a keg is better than 25 bottles eh

:icon_drool2: :icon_vomit:

To me that sort of highly aromatic smell you describe could also stem from a poor fermentation with insufficient yeast, warm temperature, etc... producing excessive esters. Particularly from the yeast that used to come in Coopers kits.
Anyone else get this?

To me that sort of highly aromatic smell you describe could also stem from a poor fermentation with insufficient yeast, warm temperature, etc... producing excessive esters. Particularly from the yeast that used to come in Coopers kits.
Anyone else get this?

This was fermented at 18-20 deg with US-05 yeast.
It was a Black Rock Pilsner can with added malts etc, with cascade and willamette hops seeped and added. Oh, I just remembered something while writing this. I forgot to add the seeped hops before pitching the yeast and sealing up the fermenter. Then noticing them still on the stove, I opened the fermenter and tossed them in. :unsure:
Maybe I should have brought them back to the boil before doing so eh

One of my brews took a long time to start and this may have been the one. I should note these things down better.
As I said, it had an off smell from the first bubbles out of the airlock.

Back