Dusseldorf Alt lagering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drtomc

Fermentationist
Reaction score
Hi All,

Brewed a Dusseldorf Alt yesterday, currently fermenting, in my newly acquired fermentation fridge.

20L batch

4kg German Munich malt
0.5kg Australian Wheat malt
0.5kg German Pilsner malt

Mashed 50C/65C for 5/90 mins, with washout at 78.

German Northern Brewer to 29 IBU @ 90min
German Spalt 20g @ 10min
German Spalt 20g @ cube.

No chill.

German Ale 1007 with 1.5L starter.

OG 1.052.

My question is at the end of fermentation should I rack and lager in bulk (in a jerry can) then prime and bottle, or should I prime and bottle and lager in bottles? Not having had a fridge before I've not really brewed styles that require lagering.

T.

IMO, lager in bulk.After primary fermentation is at about 90% attenuation transfer to another fermenter till terminal gravity,then possibly a diacetyl rest for a couple of days,then drop temps down to between 2-4 C for a minimum of two weeks lagering time,longer is better to a point. Great beer style to brew :drinks:

In bulk for sure. Among other things, you get to leave behind the shit that drops out. If you bottle that, it can easily get agitated back into solution.
I also made an alt yesterday.

Theoretically a diacetyl rest should be done with the beer still on the yeast cake for best results.

So do the d rest then rack and lager.

Alex.Tas said:
Theoretically a diacetyl rest should be done with the beer still on the yeast cake for best results.

So do the d rest then rack and lager.
True to a point, the alt yeast is a low flocculator,so a transfer to secondary at about 90% attenuation still leaves plenty of yeast for a d rest IMO.

No real need for a d-rest with 1007 in my e perience. Use healthy yeast and plenty of it and let the yeast finish out properly before cooling.

Back