Dry Vs Liquid Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanme

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I went to my LHBS to get the goods for my 2nd batch, and found myself leaving with Dry Malt Extract. Basically I was after 1.5kg of LME and 1.5g of Wheat extract and left with 1kg of dry light, and 1kg of wheat. Is that enough or do I need something else to fatten it out? More dry light for example??

I was under the impression 1kg of dry was equivilent to about 1.2 - 1.5kg of liquid, but one of the calculators I found on here told me otherwise. Please help :p

The LME is basically 20% water, 80% extract. So 1kg of DME is equivalent to 1.25kg LME. So you've got a bit less fermentables than you need. Perhaps just reduce total volume of the batch - or if you're just after the right abv but happy for it to be a little thinner bodied then add in 0.4kg dextrose.

Just a quick question. I went to my LHBS to get the goods for my 2nd batch, and found myself leaving with Dry Malt Extract. Basically I was after 1.5kg of LME and 1.5g of Wheat extract and left with 1kg of dry light, and 1kg of wheat. Is that enough or do I need something else to fatten it out? More dry light for example??

I was under the impression 1kg of dry was equivilent to about 1.2 - 1.5kg of liquid, but one of the calculators I found on here told me otherwise. Please help :p
I prefer dealing with only DME For me it's easlier too deal with stores better lasts longer.

Back