Dry hopping with a hop bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmmyummybeer said:
I just empty out the hop matter and throw the bag in the washing machine. I found it cleaned up pretty good and was easy as.
Yeah I guess that would work haha.. I'm happy with my tea strainers now though, just a quick rinse under the tap and the stuff falls right off. I usually boil them in a pot when I'm about to use them for a dry hop as well just to be safe.

I have never weighted my bags down either, I have an EIPA on the go now so I will try it this time and see how it goes. By the way if using the flowers (from Yob) will it change the flavour when dry hopping? I hope it doesnt taste grassy.

I just use a hop sock soaked in starsan, tied at one end and draped into the fermenter - the o-ring seal stops it from falling in (I use glad wrap as a lid). Once the hops are well soaked I find it doesn't float. Taste a few samples and when ready pull it out and keg away.

This way I get less crud at the bottom of my fermenter which means more beer into the keg.

Have keg hopped a couple of times now but I prefer dry hopping in the primary (each to their own).

I put mine in a hop bag and it just sinks.Lost most of my marbles.

I'm about to do my first proper dry hop with a bag, It's a Coopers IPA. When is the best time to put the bag in and for how long? I'm going to use a few sanitised marbles to weigh it down. It has been fermenting for four days now and seems to be clearing so I'm thinking of dry hopping in the next few days and leaving it another week....thoughts? Also I have Cascade, Saaz, Tettnang and Fuggles hops to choose from in the fridge.....what to use!! haha
I have done this kit with Cascade before (50g) and it came out really nice, maybe I'll try the Tettnang this time, am after hop aroma!
Thanks guys :)

Latest posts

Back