Dog fish head 90 min IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracked my bottle today. Must say it was not what I was expecting.
The aroma whilst being pronounced and very nice was not as in your face as I was expecting given the amount of late and dry hops.
I don't think the bottle was real fresh, Bottle date I think was July 13 2014, not sure it was hard to read but looked like 7132014.
Tasting wasn't what I was ready for, I expected to get a slap up the side of the head with a ridiculous amount of hop oils as is par for American Ales, but no, a big sweet malt greeting,
followed by a long hop experience that started fairly gentle and didn't get nasty as it went, plenty of flavour, nothing to mind standing out, could not pick a distinct citrus, grapefruit, pine or stone fruit,
it all just mixes into one clean tongue coating that finally gives way to a touch of booziness to finish. Big mouth, big body, big flavour. I could feel the 9% by the end of the glass.
Definitely a beer worth trying.
Would I make one, probably not, I don't need 30 bottles of that in the fridge, my liver hurt's just thinking about it.
Maybe I can get a few mates together and split a batch....mmmmm

Sounds right to me I love the 90 and the fact it is so well balanced ! I do agree it is not a drink all night beer, that would be the 60, they also have a 75 ( only had on tap) which is amazing.

I'm fermenting a batch of this now, based on the BYO recipe.

Unfortunately I miscalculated the efficiency and got an OG of 1.082 instead of 1.088 and didn't have any DME around. Hoping the bitterness turns out balanced.

8 days of fermenting and down 1.035, still a while to go.

Latest posts

Back