Do I Tip All Of Cube Into Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morebeer4me

Reaction score
Have just rehydrated yeast and cleaned fermenter about to tip cube in, noticed about 75 mm of greyLooking sludge in bottom of cube. Do I pour it all in and hope it settles to bottom of fermenter. Or stop pouring in when wort becomes cloudy ?. Sorry no time for research need to do this in the next half hourThanks in advance

Have just rehydrated yeast and cleaned fermenter about to tip cube in, noticed about 75 mm of greyLooking sludge in bottom of cube. Do I pour it all in and hope it settles to bottom of fermenter. Or stop pouring in when wort becomes cloudy ?. Sorry no time for research need to do this in the next half hourThanks in advance

Pour the lot in. Shouldn't be anything to worry about

Dude dont put that sludge in the fermenter, no matter what!!!!

Why?

Cold break, not hot break. Most literature and my own experience suggest it's not a big drama. Sludge schmudge.

@OP - read up about the effects of cold break on fermentation and make your own decision (or try with and without and make your own decision). Personally I have no issue with it - I regularly just ferment straight in the cube without transferring at all.

Why?

Cold break, not hot break. Most literature and my own experience suggest it's not a big drama. Sludge schmudge.

@OP - read up about the effects of cold break on fermentation and make your own decision (or try with and without and make your own decision). Personally I have no issue with it - I regularly just ferment straight in the cube without transferring at all.

Thanks Manticle, i will do some research now I know what it is, the cube used was my first BIAB (Sunday), I just didn't expect that much sludge in the bottom. After pouring it in though it was not very solid, so over time it probably would have settled a lot lower in cube. When I took a sample for OG there was a lot of sludgy solids floating around. Anyway thanks for replying

Do you leave sludge in the kettle when cubing? That's the stuff I would keep out of my fermenter - the stuff that looks like egg soup/brains after the boil. Hot break

Once the cube has chilled you will get some more soupy stuff - cold break. This stuff is less formidable (although I have read some things that suggests hot and cold break both have good and bad elements, hot break contributes to beer staling and other not so good things and is easy to avoid).

Do you leave sludge in the kettle when cubing? That's the stuff I would keep out of my fermenter - the stuff that looks like egg soup/brains after the boil. Hot break

Once the cube has chilled you will get some more soupy stuff - cold break. This stuff is less formidable (although I have read some things that suggests hot and cold break both have good and bad elements, hot break contributes to beer staling and other not so good things and is easy to avoid).

I use a 70 Litre Pot, I drained straight into cube using silicone hose, there appeared to be some very dark stuff (sort of like metal fillings colour) and them some light grey stuff
as well, I tilted the pot to get the most out of it, when the dark stuff got close to the valve I stopped.

I drainied into the cube within about 2-3 Mins of flame out, I put in a wirfloc tablet at 15min to go. I must note I really dont remember seeing any sludge in the pot.

I did lose 11 litres in the boil, it was really pumping.

Learning as I go, thanks again

Grey stuff and dark stuff sounds like hot break and hop debris. Leave this behind. That's the sludge I'm talking about. If you need to recover more wort, transfer this stuff to a separate vessel, cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day, decant the extra clear wort, leave the thick shit behind, re boil for 10 minutes and you have extra litres of wort to use for a starter or just to add for extra volume.

Grey stuff and dark stuff sounds like hot break and hop debris. Leave this behind. That's the sludge I'm talking about. If you need to recover more wort, transfer this stuff to a separate vessel, cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day, decant the extra clear wort, leave the thick shit behind, re boil for 10 minutes and you have extra litres of wort to use for a starter or just to add for extra volume.

Great idea thanks for that, have a good night

I use a 70 Litre Pot, I drained straight into cube using silicone hose, there appeared to be some very dark stuff (sort of like metal fillings colour) and them some light grey stuff
as well, I tilted the pot to get the most out of it, when the dark stuff got close to the valve I stopped.

I drainied into the cube within about 2-3 Mins of flame out, I put in a wirfloc tablet at 15min to go. I must note I really dont remember seeing any sludge in the pot.

Hey, mate.
If you want to leave more of the shit behind in your kettle try moving the whirlfloc addition below 10 minutes. 8 minutes seems to be a sweet spot on my system. Also, after flameout, whack the lid on your pot and walk away for 15 minutes or so, until the convections stop moving the wort so much. Then whirlpool using a huge-arse spoon for about a minute, longer if your man arms don't start to ache like mine do. This pulls all of the hot break and hops into the centre.
Lid back on, walk away. 10-15 minutes later drain into cube.

I get this result every time with lovely clear wort into the cube. 70 l kettle, 46 l batch. Hope this helps. Cheers.

109_1236.JPG

109_1241.JPG

Hey, mate.
If you want to leave more of the shit behind in your kettle try moving the whirlfloc addition below 10 minutes. 8 minutes seems to be a sweet spot on my system. Also, after flameout, whack the lid on your pot and walk away for 15 minutes or so, until the convections stop moving the wort so much. Then whirlpool using a huge-arse spoon for about a minute, longer if your man arms don't start to ache like mine do. This pulls all of the hot break and hops into the centre.
Lid back on, walk away. 10-15 minutes later drain into cube.

I get this result every time with lovely clear wort into the cube. 70 l kettle, 46 l batch. Hope this helps. Cheers.

View attachment 52222

View attachment 52223

Thanks for that, now that i see your photo, my wort was still totally mixed. Next time I will wait and then create a whirlpool

Cheers

Hot break is essentially Tofu made from Barley instead of Soybeans.

Hot break is essentially Tofu made from Barley instead of Soybeans.

... and tastes a lot worse (i couldn't help myself last time I was draining the leftovers for starters)

... and tastes a lot worse (i couldn't help myself last time I was draining the leftovers for starters)

It'd probably be not too bad if you didn't boil hops. But then you'd get paralysed by Botox. :lol:

The only real difference between hot and cold break (forgetting the hops) is fat content. That's it - other than that the two breaks are THE SAME.

Back