Devils half porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perko8

Reaction score
Posted this the other day, perhaps in the wrong place. Keen for some input into what I could do with splitting my Porter...

I've got a coopers Devils Half ruby porter nearly finished fermenting. Thinking about splitting it in secondary as I don't drink heaps of dark beer but would like to try variations..

Three things I'm thinking of:
1- Bottle a third as is.
2- add choc malt and cold steeped coffee
3 - three kg of figs to put it over.

How does that sound?

Alternatively I could hop it up to a dark ipa ish thing - boil some hops in crystal/ caramalt and cool to rack over.

Regarding your alternative, hops and lots of dark malts don't tend to play well together. You can test it by doing a hop tea first to try it.

My vote is for the figs.

Ok so I split it last night three ways as per my first post. Will leave hop experiments for another time. Hopefully it turns out. I'm not sure about the figs - tastes a bit sweet currently but I guess that will ferment out a bit.

I'm planning to use a can of the devils and will use cold-steeped choc malt and a flame-out addition of toasted coconut. Was also wondering about whether to use a small amount of choc rye in the cold steep as well?

The figs are a curious idea. Will it become a brew that will keep you running to the loo? lol

Cheers,

Pete

Yeah I think the would be great. Has a fairly fruity sweet flavour, bit of spice from rye might be a good thing.

Back