Culturing Yeast From Coopers Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have searched the site for some time and found a lot of information on yeast farming but none specific to culturing yeast from Coopers bottles, can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks

James

There has been some discussion of this issue over the last few days, I am planning on doing the same myself in the near future.

I posted this powerpoint session on yeast farming yesterday, it might get you started.

View attachment yeastpresentation.ppt

More discussion will follow :) Cheerz Wab

Here you go, there's 2 specific to the procedure, plenty of others around discussing reculturing Coopers... I did a search on "coopers yeast" (got too many results to find anything useful), then "reculture".

Link 1
Link 2

Do i need to reculture/farm it or can I just crack open two bottles of Coopers Pale Ale and whack the bottle yeast straight into the fermenter???

Also is the CPA & CSA the same yeast or would I get different effects/flavors???

probably best to make a starter, and let it grow over a couple of days. makes sure the yeast is good to go, and you will get a strong fast start to your fermentation

iirc coopers use the same yeast in most of their beers so it shouldnt be much different :)

Do i need to reculture/farm it or can I just crack open two bottles of Coopers Pale Ale and whack the bottle yeast straight into the fermenter???

Also is the CPA & CSA the same yeast or would I get different effects/flavors???

mishandelling coopers yeast will give you some FUNKY smells. you'll want to make a starter.

Back